Tech minister Uche Nnaji resigns after Peoples Gazette exposed his certificate forgery
Nigeria’s Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology, Geoffrey Uche Nnaji, has resigned from office after Peoples Gazette’s exclusive report exposed that he forged his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) and university certificates.
Mr Nnaji’s resignation, formally accepted by President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday night, comes more than a year after The Gazette, in June 2024, reported that the minister’s NYSC certificate was fake and that the State Security Service (SSS) deliberately concealed the finding during his ministerial screening in 2023.
His resignation marks another embarrassing scandal for the Tinubu administration, which has faced mounting criticism over the calibre and integrity of the president and some of his appointees.
The development also underscores growing discontent within Enugu political circles, where Mr Nnaji’s rivals had filed court petitions to compel his resignation following The Gazette’s exposé in 2024.
“His resignation became inevitable the moment the court processes began to move forward,” a senior administration source told The Gazette Tuesday night. “The presidency wanted to avoid further embarrassment, especially since The Gazette report had already made it impossible to ignore.”
In a statement titled “President Tinubu Accepts Resignation of Geoffrey Nnaji as Minister,” presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga confirmed the development late Tuesday, October 7, 2025.
“President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has accepted the resignation of Geoffrey Uche Nnaji, the Minister of Innovation, Science, and Technology, following some allegations against him,” Mr Onanuga said.
Mr Tinubu thanked the embattled minister for his service and wished him well in his future endeavours.
In his resignation letter, Mr Nnaji thanked the president for giving him the opportunity to serve but claimed he had been a target of “blackmail” from political rivals in Enugu State—an apparent reference to ongoing legal action filed by his opponents over his forged credentials.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices
Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
Agriculture
Two herders arraigned over alleged unlawful grazing
The prosecutor alleged that the defendants unlawfully grazed their cattle on unauthorised farmland in the Itapaji-Ekiti forest.
States
NDC hails Gov Adeleke, says Osun election triumph for democracy
The NDC said Mr Adeleke’s victory in Saturday’s governorship election was a triumph for democracy and the people’s will.
States
Army deploys new measures to boost security in Sokoto-Kebbi border communities
The Nigerian Army said it readjusted its security architecture to prevent further terrorist attacks on communities between Sokoto and Kebbi states.
States
Police warn against forceful takeover of Osun LG secretariats
Mr Etaifo said those planning to take over local government secretariats forcefully would be arrested and prosecuted.
States
Insecurity: Nasarawa communities seek FG’s urgent intervention
Residents said the security situation had become worrisome as a result of constant attacks, abductions and, in some cases, killings.
Kano
Kano cancer centre offers free radiotherapy to indigent patients
The Kano Cancer Treatment Centre has provided free radiotherapy treatment valued at over N12 million to 10 indigent cancer patients in Kano.






