Justice Odili home invaders’ trial continues July 14

The Federal High Court, Abuja Division, has fixed July 14 for the continuation of the trial of 15 persons arrested over their alleged involvement in the invasion of former Supreme Court Justice Mary Peter-Odili’s house.
When the matter pending before Justice Ekerete Akpan was called, the prosecuting counsel, J.I. Kpandeh, informed the court that the matter was for the continuation of the trial.
Mr Kpandeh proceeded to call the third prosecution witness, Solomon Gotang, to continue with his testimony.
The prosecutor led the witness to tender a letter written to the office of the force secretary, and the reply received thereafter.
While all the defendants did not object to the admissibility of the letter to the force secretary, they, however, objected to the reply being admitted in evidence.
Counsel to the first defendant, Edeh Chukwuebuka, said that his reason for objecting to the admissibility of the document was on the grounds that the document was different from what the witness had identified.
Following objections from other defence counsel on similar grounds, the prosecutor was compelled to withdraw the document to obtain certification before tendering it in evidence.
He said not certifying it was an oversight, as the document was essential in proving his case against the defendants.
The prosecutor also tendered another document, which he said was an analysis done by the witness of the investigation.
When asked how he would ascertain the authenticity of the document, the witness stated that it had certain features that would enable him to identify it.
“I can identify it because it is a two-page document with the logo of the Nigerian Police Force, and on each of the pages, there is a diagrammatic presentation of the respective roles played by the defendants,” the witness said.
The document was admitted into evidence since there was no objection.
The prosecution subsequently requested an adjournment from the court to allow the defendants to cross-examine the witness on the next adjourned date.
The trial judge, Mr Akpan, adjourned the matter until July 14.
The defendants in the trial include Adjodo Lawrence (aka Ola Ojo), Michael Diete-Spiff, Alex Onyekuru, Bayero Lawal (aka director of EFCC) and Igwe Ernest.
Others are Aliyu Ibrahim, Maimuna Maishanu, Ayodele Akindipe (aka Herbalist), Yusuf Adaiu (aka godson to Peter Odili), Bashir Musa, Stanley Nkwazema and Shehu Jibo.
They are standing trial on an 18-count criminal charge bordering on conspiracy, forgery and unlawful invasion.
They, however, pleaded not guilty to all the charges when they were arraigned and were admitted to bail of N5 million each, with two sureties each in the like sum.
Justice Nkeonye Maha previously handled the case, but following her transfer to another division, the case was transferred to Mr Akpan.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Umahi warns contractors against abandoning project sites
Works minister David Umahi has directed contractors handling federal government road projects to remain fully active on their sites, warning against abandoning projects.

States
Egg sellers hail Lagos govt for Agege food hub, seeks inclusion
The Eggs Sellers and Distributors Association of Nigeria has commended the Lagos government for establishing the Agege Fresh Food Hub.

States
Two Kaduna women nabbed for stealing deceased friend’s wrappers during mourning
Keziah Nathan, 26, and Janet Caleb, 29, were on Wednesday arraigned before the Kaduna Magistrate’s Court for stealing their late friend’s wrappers.

States
Two Ogun men arraigned for stealing battery
Two men, Sunday Famakinde, 38, and Kehinde Olamide, 35, were arraigned before the Ota Magistrate’s Court in Ogun on Wednesday for stealing a battery worth N100,000.

Politics
Peace Accord: Tinubu not interested in peaceful 2027 elections, declares SDP candidate
“President Tinubu (@officialABAT) not showing up to the National Peace Accord signing yesterday shows that he is not committed to peace,” the politician stated.

Sport
Lakeside Queens FC whip Bayelsa Princesses 3-0 in Aba
Lakeside Queens FC of Ogun defeated Bayelsa Princesses 3-0 at the ongoing Nationwide Nigeria Women Football League promotion play-off at the Enyimba FC Stadium, Aba, on Monday.






