Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Kano Hisbah commander accused of stealing 2022 hajj slots for family members

The accusation was seen as a shock since Mr Ibn-Sina, who acclaimed himself as morally upright, has clamoured for the strict enforcement of Sharia law in all parts of Kano.

• June 22, 2022
Kano Hisbah Commander Haruna Ibn Sina
Kano Hisbah Commander Haruna Ibn Sina [Photo Credit: Freedom Radio Nigeria]

Commander General of the Kano Hisbah affairs, Sheikh Haruna Ibn Sina has been accused of hijacking the 2022 hajj slots for his family and cronies, depriving other government officials from embarking on the holy trip.

Rabiu Baban Usman, an aide to Governor Abdullahi Ganduje on Hisbah affairs, said his name had been unlawfully replaced by the commander’s wife and brother on the hajj slots despite his office making provisions for the trip.

“I am one of the seven people who first submitted their passports for the Hajj visa. However, during a meeting on Monday, when a list of officials who will be embarking on the holy trip was called, my name was suspiciously missing,” Mr Usman disclosed in an interview with Sahelian Times.

Upon enquiry, the governor’s aide learnt the commander had initially included his name on the hajj slots but later removed it to favour his wife and brother.

“When I enquired about his, I was told by a Director that the Commander forwarded the names of his wife, brother and SSA to be included, and when he was told that he had to exclude one person from among the three he presented, he chose to include his wife and his other(sic) on the trip.”

The accusation was seen as a shock since Mr Ibn-Sina, who acclaimed himself as morally upright, has clamoured for the strict enforcement of Sharia law in all parts of Kano, despite pushback from residents of other faiths, especially the Christian community.

In June 2021, he banned the use of mannequins, saying they promoted immoral thoughts. He later relaxed the ban for tailors to display their wares, on the condition the mannequin heads were removed.

The incident has again raised questions about the so-called uprightness of the Hisbah board since their commander general may have been hijacking government hajj slots for his family members.

A spokesman for the commander did not return a request seeking comments from Peoples Gazette on Thursday afternoon.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Road Safety Officiers

States

Special, Regular Marshals deployed in Bauchi major routes for hitch-free Sallah: FRSC

The FRSC says it has deployed 987 personnel and 10 patrol vehicles to ensure road traffic crash free Eid-el-Kabir celebration in the state.

Gallows

States

Kebbi court sentences Nigerian to death by hanging for killing woman, child

Mr Aliyu, the deceased husband, appealed to the state government to expedite the execution of the judgment.

Justin Trudeau /IRCC

Hot news Home top

Canada resumes immigration and Express Entry draws

In June, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that a new task force had been established to handle immigration processing delays.

Ram market

Faith

Sallah: Ram dealers lament low patronage in Gombe

The dealers who had stocked animals such as ram, goat, sheep and bulls for the festive season, complained of low patronage amid poor market conditions.

U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris

World

Mass Shootings: Kamala Harris proposes ban on assault weapons

“We’ve got to be smarter as a country in terms of who has access to what, in particular assault weapons,’’ Ms Harris said.

Stephen Dawulung and FRSC officers

States

700 Road Safety operatives to man Kogi highways during Sallah: Commander

Kogi sector commander Stephen Dawulung said that the team would also checkmate carnage during the festivities.