Kano Keke riders suspend strike
Commercial tricycle riders in Kano have suspended their three-day-old strike.
The commercial riders went on strike over operational permits demanded by the Kano State Road and Traffic Agency (KAROTA).
The decision followed a meeting held on Wednesday between KAROTA’s managing director Baffa Babba-Dan’agundi, who represented the Kano government and leadership of the tricycle riders.
The meeting was held at the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) headquarters in Kano and moderated by Mahmoud Gadanya, a lawyer.
The lawyer of the Keke riders, Abba Hikima, announced the suspension of the strike while addressing journalists shortly after the meeting.
Mr Hikima stated that among the resolution reached at the meeting was that members of the association would resume operations on Thursday.
He added that the association would write to the Kano government to request a further reduction of the operation permit currently pegged at N8,000.
Mr Hikima also revealed that no commercial tricycle rider would be forced to continue to pay the amount until the government stated its position on the fee, which would be announced at a meeting to be convened on or before January 18.
The Keke riders’ counsel added that members of the association would also continue to pay the daily levy of N100, among other resolutions.
More from Peoples Gazette
Mr Abdullahi said the community had suffered more than 13 attacks, lost more than 50 persons and have spent over N200 million in the last two years as ransom.
Liverpool are now second on the EPL log with 45 points in 21 games, displacing Chelsea who had 43 points in 22 games so far.
The APC chieftain, who is aspiring to become Nigeria’s president in 2023, has revved up visitations to politicians in the name of sympathy.
The traffic diversions and road rehabilitation would last for three months, Lagos transport commissioner said.
Police spokesman in the state, Wasiu Abiodun, in a statement in Minna on Sunday, said the victims were abducted at about 02:00 a.m. on Friday.
EEDC warned that if electricity theft was not abated, energy services in the region would be jeopardised.