Thursday, August 20, 2026

Kanye West ditches name, now just “Ye”

A Los Angeles court granted Mr Ye’s petition to drop his former name; Kanye Omari West on Tuesday.

• October 19, 2021
Kanye West (Credit: nytimes.com)
Kanye West (Credit: nytimes.com)

American rapper Kanye West has now legally dropped his first, middle, and last name to be identified as just “Ye” henceforth.

According to AP News, the rapper who initially filed a petition to change his name due to personal reasons on August 24, 2021, has now been approved of his request to drop his name from Kanye Omari West to just Ye.

His request was granted on October 18 by a Los Angeles judge as there had been no objection.

“There being no objections, the petition for change of name is granted,” Judge Michelle Williams Court stated in court documents.

The rapper’s decision did not come as a surprise to the public as he has always publicly referred to himself as “Ye” in series of interviews and his occasional tweet rants.

The cognomen was also his 2018 album title. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.