Kidnappers release expatriate after collecting N100m ransom
The Chinese expatriate, kidnapped in Ekiti last week during which a policeman was killed, has been released, NAN reports.
The expatriate, one of the contractors engaged by the Ekiti State government to construct the new Ado Ekiti-Iyin Ekiti road, was abducted last Friday at the site by gunmen who also killed one of the policemen attached to the contractors.
A source close to the road construction company said the abductee was released by his captors around 11pm on Tuesday after the payment of N100 million ransom.
According to the source, the ransom was collected in Kwara state, and the expatriate was released around Ilawe-Igede road in Ekiti state.
“The N100 million was taken to a bush in Kwara state where the kidnappers collected and confirmed it before the man was released at a very difficult location along Igede-Ilawe road in Ekiti state.
Reacting, Ekiti police spokesman, ASP Sunday Abutu, confirmed the release, but declined to comment on whether or not any ransom was paid to secure the release.
He claimed, however, that the release was made possible after a serious manhunt for the kidnappers was launched by a combined team of security operatives.
“Yes, he was released after a serious manhunt and pressure from the security operatives around Ilawe-Igede at about 11:30 pm on Tuesday,” he said.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
The CP said the two arrested suspects denied involvement in the incident.
The governor said successive administrations did not give adequate attention to the welfare of retirees.
The budget comprises N87.25 billion, or 42 per cent, for recurrent expenditure and N120.5 billion, or 58 per cent, for capital expenditure.