Monday, August 17, 2026

Killer herdsmen dropped by helicopter killed dozens in Southern Kaduna; burial held: Adara Leader

Awemi Maisamari said all witnesses so far emphasised how a helicopter was used to coordinate the attack, and the details they supplied have been documented.

• June 9, 2022
Destroyed village
destroyed village

Thirty-two people have been buried since the gruesome raid on Dogon Noma, Ungwan Gamu, Maikori, Ungwan Sarki and nearby hamlets in Kajuru Local Government Area, on June 5, local leader Awemi Maisamari said by telephone Thursday morning. 

Videos taken in the attack’s aftermath showed charred remains of bodies and properties across the predominantly Christian communities. Churches and houses were razed, videos shared with Peoples Gazette showed. 

“We have been piling up fatalities to be sure of the accuracy of our information,” Mr Maisamari said. “This took us several days to be able to get the information out.” 

The community leader said fatalities may rise as more bodies are discovered. Several villages were also abducted by the attackers, who have for years waged a brutal campaign to seize rich grazing lands across Southern Kaduna and other parts of central Nigeria. 

Mr Maisamari said all witnesses so far emphasised how a helicopter was used to coordinate the attack, and the details they supplied have been documented. 

“We have no doubt that the attackers had the support of a helicopter,” Mr Maisamari said. “But how a helicopter could be used to carry out a massacre without collusion or incompetence of security agencies is a critical question that must be answered.” 

Mr Maisamari, leader of Adara Development Association and vice president of Southern Kaduna People’s Union, said Governor El-Rufai did not send condolences over the attack. 


“Governor El-Rufai didn’t come for burial. He didn’t send condolences,” Mr Maisamari said. “We are begging the government to stop these attacks, we cannot be left at the mercy of these killers.” 

A spokesman for the governor did not return a request seeking comments. A police spokesman in Kaduna said a statement will be sent but did not do so as of the time of filing this report. 

Mr El-Rufai has faced a hard time resolving the crisis, which escalated under his administration that began in 2015. He also reportedly paid state funds to pacify the killers and accused Southern Kaduna residents of provocative rustling of nomadic Fulani livestock. 


We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States

NDC hails Gov Adeleke, says Osun election triumph for democracy

The NDC said Mr Adeleke’s victory in Saturday’s governorship election was a triumph for democracy and the people’s will.

Nigerian Army

States

Army deploys new measures to boost security in Sokoto-Kebbi border communities

The Nigerian Army said it readjusted its security architecture to prevent further terrorist attacks on communities between Sokoto and Kebbi states.

Samuel Etaifo

States

Police warn against forceful takeover of Osun LG secretariats

Mr Etaifo said those planning to take over local government secretariats forcefully would be arrested and prosecuted.

Nasarawa State logo

States

Insecurity: Nasarawa communities seek FG’s urgent intervention

Residents said the security situation had become worrisome as a result of constant attacks, abductions and, in some cases, killings.

Kano

Kano cancer centre offers free radiotherapy to indigent patients

The Kano Cancer Treatment Centre has provided free radiotherapy treatment valued at over N12 million to 10 indigent cancer patients in Kano.

States

Ooni congratulates Gov Adeleke, urges unity in Osun

The monarch said the election’s conclusion should usher Osun into unity, reconciliation and purposeful governance for all communities.