Thursday, August 20, 2026

Kogi school VP, two other killed as security agents foil mass abduction of WASSCE candidates

Mr Fanwo stated that the state government extended its condolences to the families of the victims.

• June 10, 2026
Gunmen and Troops
Gunmen and Troops

Gunmen on Wednesday invaded Government Secondary School in the Aharha-Bunu area of Kabba-Bunu Local Government Area of Kogi State and killed the school vice-principal, Gani Anifowose.

A source who spoke to the Peoples Gazette said two other persons were killed during an attempt by the assailants to abduct students sitting the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).

In a statement on Wednesday, the state commissioner for information, Kingsley Fanwo, confirmed the incident, saying the gunmen attacked the Iluke community in the Bunu District of Kabba-Bunu Local Government Area of the state.

“The Kogi State Government has received with deep sadness the report of a terrorist attack on Iluke Community in Bunu District of Kabba-Bunu Local Government Area by criminal elements who disguised themselves in military uniforms in a desperate attempt to deceive residents and perpetrate their evil act,” he said.

Mr Fanwo said the attack resulted in the deaths of three community members, adding that the government extended its condolences to the families of the victims.

He commended the swift response of military operatives and other security agents, whose intervention, he said, prevented the attackers from carrying out a mass abduction of students and causing further casualties.

Mr Fanwo stated, “Reports available to the Government indicate that the bandits disrupted an ongoing WAEC examination and had already begun marching students into the bush when security operatives engaged them in a fierce gun battle.”

Mr Fanwo added that security forces killed one of the attackers, while several others escaped with gunshot wounds.

“Owing to the superior firepower, professionalism, and courage of the security agents, all the students were successfully rescued unharmed and returned to safety. statement reads.

“Security agencies are currently on the trail of the fleeing criminals and are intensifying efforts to ensure that all those connected with the attack are apprehended and brought to justice,” he said.

He thanked the military, vigilantes, hunters and other security operatives whose sacrifices , patriotism and commitment to duty saved lives and averted what could have been a devastating mass abduction.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.