Saturday, August 22, 2026

Lagos assembly concludes probe into Makoko, Sogunro, Oko-Agbon demolitions

He expressed concern over the shifting positions of community representatives during the discussions.

• March 5, 2026
Lagos assembly and Makoko demolition
Lagos assembly and Makoko demolition

The Lagos State House of Assembly has concluded its investigation into demolitions in three waterfront communities, with affected residents presenting differing demands.

Chairman of the ad hoc committee, Noheem Adams, disclosed this during a stakeholders’ meeting with representatives of the affected communities on Thursday in Lagos.

The affected communities are Makoko, Sogunro and Oko-Agbon.

Mr Adams, who is also majority leader, said the committee would submit its findings and the communities’ positions to the speaker and the 40-member assembly.

He expressed concern over the shifting positions of community representatives during the discussions.

Mr Adams recalled that the communities had initially agreed to compensation but later changed their stance, describing the development as a setback to reconciliation efforts.

At the committee’s final meeting on Thursday, representatives of the three communities presented differing views on compensation and relocation for displaced residents.

The Alase of the Egun community in Makoko, Francis Agoyon, said affected residents should be permanently relocated rather than compensated.

Similarly, the Baale of Makoko, Emmanuel Shemade, said residents preferred relocation to financial compensation.

However, he urged the government to clearly state where displaced residents would be relocated and define the demolition boundaries in Makoko, Sogunro and Oko-Agbon.

In contrast, Sogunro representative, Bola Ayande, said the community preferred financial compensation.

Mr Ayande suggested that each affected resident should receive about ₦10 million, noting that an average bamboo house in the area costs about ₦4 million.

Vice  chairman of the Fishermen Association, Tobi Kalejaiye, said the situation had created anxiety among residents.

“The people are jittery about the situation. Whatever the traditional rulers say will be the final decision,” he said.

Leaders of the three communities, however, agreed that government should demolish any structures rebuilt on the affected sites.

Officials of the Lagos State Building Control Agency told the committee that some demolished structures had been reconstructed.

They requested permission from the assembly to remove the new constructions.

Earlier, the assembly directed the communities to form 10-member committees comprising women, youths, students and traditional leaders.

The move is aimed at resolving disputes and addressing the needs of displaced residents.

The three communities also submitted their reports to the Assembly Secretariat. 

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Arsenal players

Heading 5

Arsenal beat Coventry City 3-0 in Premier League opener

Kai Havertz found the back of the net in the first 15 minutes of the game. 

Ebola Patients

Africa

DR Congo’s Ebola death toll hits 2,500

He projected that the existing funds will be exhausted in weeks.

Troops

States

Troops rescue 43-year-old kidnap victim in Kaduna, kill terrorist in Sokoto 

The spokesperson said that troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw in disarray.

Usain Bolt

Sport

Usain Bolt registers to play for Manchester Sunday league team

The 40-year-old Manchester United fan registered as a player for Wythenshawe Vets FC. 

WASSCE digital certificates

Education

WAEC announces release of 2026 WASSCE digital certificates

The examination body asked candidates to log on to waec.org to access their certificates.