Lagos police launch probe into alleged extortion by task force

The police command in Lagos State on Sunday said it has ordered an investigation into a viral video in which a motorist accused task force operatives of extortion.
The viral video had also depicted operatives as fabricating a traffic offence in the Ikeja area of the state.
In a post on its official X handle, @LagosPoliceNG, the command said its attention had been drawn to the video circulating on social media and assured the public that the matter would be thoroughly investigated.
It stated that the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Olohundare Jimoh, had ordered a comprehensive and immediate investigation into the allegations, assuring that the outcome would guide the next line of action.
“Jimoh had directed that the allegations be immediately looked into, adding that
” Appropriate action would be taken based on the findings of the investigation, ” it stated.
The command also thanked members of the public for bringing the incident to its attention.
NAN reports that the controversy followed a video posted on Saturday in which a motorist had alleged that task force operatives stopped him around the Toyin Street area of Ikeja.
In the video, the motorist claimed he was accused of driving against traffic, commonly referred to as ‘one-way’, an allegation he insisted was false.
He had also alleged that the operatives forcefully entered his vehicle, drove it to a location where it appeared to be positioned against traffic, and then attempted to use it as evidence that he had committed a traffic offence.
The victim further alleged that officials had demanded and collected N150,000 from him before releasing his vehicle.
The incident has since sparked public reactions, with many social media users calling for accountability and transparency in the the handling of the case.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Troops rescue 43-year-old kidnap victim in Kaduna, kill terrorist in Sokoto
The spokesperson said that troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw in disarray.

Sport
Usain Bolt registers to play for Manchester Sunday league team
The 40-year-old Manchester United fan registered as a player for Wythenshawe Vets FC.

Education
WAEC announces release of 2026 WASSCE digital certificates
The examination body asked candidates to log on to waec.org to access their certificates.

Heading 5
Prince Harry, Elton John, five others ordered to make initial payment of £9.5 million to Daily Mail publisher
The judge said the plaintiffs had not built an airtight case.

World
Russia’s drone attack kills five, injures 52 in Ukraine
Mr Zelenskyy stated that all the injured victims were receiving the necessary medical care.

Anti-Corruption
ICPC uncovers another fake agency operating in Tinubu’s govt
Mr Aliyu said the fake agency was discovered during ongoing investigations into the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council.






