Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Lagos rally will hold as planned, Sunday Igboho insists

“I can still confirm officially that the Lagos rally in as much as whatever news or rumours you’ve been listening to from different outlets, will go as planned.”

• July 2, 2021
Sunday Igboho
Sunday Igboho

Yoruba secessionist Sunday Igboho has vowed to go on with a major rally of separatist agitators scheduled to hold in Lagos on Saturday, notwithstanding the threats by Nigeria security agencies.

Igboho made the comments after operatives of the State Security Services raided his residence, killed two people, arrested others and accused him of planning a “violent insurrection against Nigeria.”

The secret police also declared him wanted and alleged that illegal arms including seven AK-47 rifles and thousands of ammunition were recovered from his residence.

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, also issued warning to Igboho on the planned rally, stating that “on no account will any actual or rumoured activities including the said planned mega rally be allowed to lockdown the state or hinder normal daily activities of the good people of Lagos State.”

But Igboho who spoke through his spokesperson, Oluyomi Koiki, vowed that the protest would hold as scheduled.

 “I can still confirm officially that the Lagos rally in as much as whatever news or rumours you’ve been listening to from different outlets, will go as planned,” he said.

“The 3rd of July mega rally will go as planned. All arrangements for the rally have been planned and nothing has changed.

“I have spoken to the organisers, nothing has changed so far. 3rd of July from exactly 9:00 a.m. in the morning. The whole arrangement and planning is going on.”

Mr Koiki also stated that efforts were in place for the release of those detained by the SSS.

“I’ve spoken with the general secretary of Ilana Omo Odua, George Akinola, and also in the early hours before noon, I spoke with Banji Akintoye and he is working tirelessly for the release of those taken away.

“The rally in Lagos is going to be a peaceful rally, it is going to be a mega rally, do not be disturbed about what happened. So much development took place at Igboho’s house.

“We might get a form of video from Igboho about the Lagos rally, which might be released, we’ll be deciding that in the next 24 hours.”

“He (Igboho) asked me to tell you all, not to be weighed down about what happened, he is standing with the Yoruba Nation agenda,” he added.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.