Lagos school holds rally for freedom of Oriire schoolchildren kidnapped by terrorists

Parents, teachers, and students of Wise Up School in Abule Egba, Lagos, staged a rally on Tuesday, demanding urgent government action over the May 15 mass abduction in Oyo state.
Terrorists invaded the Ahoro-Esin-Ile and Yawota communities in the Oriire local council, kidnapping 39 pupils and seven staffers on May 15.
Their families remain deeply traumatised and are demanding an urgent rescue operation, as well as stronger national security measures.
Shedrach Oyi-Obute, director of Wise Up School, said, “We have been patient enough with the government. Social media posts have failed; now, we will protest daily until our voices are heard.”
Mr Oyi-Obute explained that the school, known for teaching leadership and global citizenship, decided to take the lead in amplifying the voices of those silenced in captivity. He said the protest was a call for justice and action.
Mr Oyi-Obute added that they would escalate the protest to the Government House in Alausa if no action was taken by the weekend. He restated that the school management would not relent until the kidnapped children and teachers were released.
Rosemary Babatunde, head of academics, said, “Children as young as two years old are sleeping in unsafe forests.”
She said trauma was inevitable and urged the government to act.
Ms Babatunde added that the school management initiated the protest independently but expressed confidence that other schools and communities would join for humanity’s sake.
Temitope Ajiboye, a teacher, described the situation as unfortunate, noting that both children and teachers were being held in captivity. He stated that education must be safe and accessible, urging government intervention.
Mr Ajiboye said that if no positive steps were taken, “the protest will continue until our voices are heard” and called on the authorities to ensure the safe release of the abducted victims.
Oluwaseun Lasekan, another teacher, said the children had been held in harsh conditions for over two weeks. She stressed that the government had the capacity to secure their release and must act urgently.
She explained that the protest, though small in number, represented a collective plea from pupils, teachers, and parents.
Ms Lasekan vowed that the demonstrations would continue until the children were reunited with their families.
Aisha Ojumu said no child deserved to be held captive and that no teacher should die for educating others. She urged the government to act swiftly, stressing that the nation’s future depends on the safety of its children.
Daniella Adefowora, a pupil and assistant environmental prefect, pleaded with the government to save the children and teachers. She said the protest was a call for urgent action and rescue.
Onyenchi Chibuike-Ochuwa, a student, remarked that children were the leaders of tomorrow. She appealed to the government to ensure their release and protect the future of education.
Oluwafoyinsolami Boboye, a seven-year-old pupil, expressed pity for the captives, saying she would not eat until the children and teachers were rescued.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
EU leaders back ICC after U.S. slams sanctions on two senior officials
They added that ICC judges and officials must be allowed to perform their duties independently and without external pressure.

Sport
WAFCON: Stakeholders seek overhaul of Nigerian footbal administration as NFF sacks Madugu
Mr Adejumo said, “If the NFF sacks the technical crew, who will sack the NFF itself.”

Heading 5
2027: Okorocha sues INEC, APC for recognising Gov. Uzodimma as Imo West senatorial district candidate
The originating summons, filed on August 13, is marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1854/2026.

States
NYSC DG tasks corps members on responsible social media use
The DG noted that technology had made it increasingly difficult to distinguish between genuine and fabricated materials.

Africa
Media professionals decry threats to press freedom in West Africa
The media experts noted that press freedom and national security should be complementary objectives and not competitors.







