Lai Mohammed celebrates Trump’s support of Buhari’s illegal Twitter ban

Minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed has hailed the endorsement of the federal government’s ban of Twitter in Nigeria by former American President Donald Trump.
The Nigerian government had on June 4, banned Twitter, blocking citizens’ access to the micro-blogging platform after Mr Buhari’s tweet, deemed a threat to commit genocide in the fashion of the civil war genocide against the South-East people was deleted by Twitter.
Though Mr Buhari’s action has been widely condemned by both local and international media across the globe, Mr Trump, who was banned from the micro-blogging site for his unguarded statements at the twilight of his administration, commended Mr Buhari for banning Twitter in Nigeria.
“Congratulations to the country of Nigeria, who just banned Twitter because they banned their President,” Mr Trump said in a statement Tuesday night.
In a Channels TV video posted on Twitter on Wednesday, Mr Mohammed spoke pleasantly of the endorsement by Mr Trump.
“Donald Trump has congratulated Nigeria,” Mr Mohammed said. “If that means anything, that that is what we ought to have done. But that’s just by the way.”
Twitter ban is the latest attack on the freedom of expression in Nigeria by the Buhari regime, which has been characterised by gross human rights abuses.
Last week, Peoples Gazette in an exclusive report exposed how Abubakar Malami, minister of justice, in a secret memo suggested that the Nigerian Constitution be suspended and martial law declared.
In a bid to gag free speech, the Buhari regime has been scheming to promulgate an obnoxious social media Bill but has been opposed by Nigerians.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Port Harcourt
UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children
The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them.

States
Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction
Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Heading 1
Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police
Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido.

Hot news Home top
Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.
She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.

Faith
Isese Day: Traditional worshippers urge Nigerians to pray for country’s progress
Isese Day is celebrated every August 20.







