Thursday, June 13, 2024

Lekki Massacre: Police reject nine bodies from Nigerian Army: Sources

The Nigerian Army is in a dilemma on how to handle bodies evacuated from the scene of the massacre on Tuesday night.

• October 20, 2020
Bloody Nigerian flag and Buhari
Bloody Nigerian flag and Buhari used to illustrate Lekki Massacre story

The police in Lagos have turned down Nigerian Army’s request to hand over nine bodies from tonight’s massacre in Lekki, Peoples Gazette can report based on corroborated accounts of two security officials.

A Nigerian Army major called a deputy police commissioner in Lagos Tuesday night, informing him of the need to take possession of the bodies and register them at the morgue.

The police chief initially said they would communicate the matter to the Force Headquarters, then abruptly rejected the request entirely and advised the military to deposit the bodies at the morgue by themselves.

The officials said they could not immediately tell whether or not all the bodies were from the Lekki massacre that occurred on Tuesday evening.

“But we have not heard of soldiers operating anywhere else this night,” a senior security officer said. “So we believe the nine bodies they were talking about are from the Lekki incident.” 

It was not immediately clear whether the Army has finally been able to preserve the bodies.

A spokesman for the Nigerian Army 81 Division in Lagos did not immediately return requests seeking comments from the Gazette Tuesday night. A police spokesman also declined to officially comment on the matter. 

Nigeria has been in mourning over heavy casualties inflicted on #EndSARS protesters in Lagos Tuesday evening. 

Witnesses said the military shut off security cameras and street lights in the area before opening live rounds on protesters who were unarmed. 

A livestream of the violence showed the heavy military gunfire and the ensued deaths. The Gazette initially reported at least eight deaths based on reports from the live videos. Another report said at least 11 people were killed.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Scholz speaking with Zelensky (credit: Reuters)

World

Germany’s concerns delaying EU’s latest Russia sanctions

Diplomats in Brussels said Germany’s concern and request for changes were decisive factors in the delay of the latest Russian sanctions package.

Putin speaking to XI (Credit: REUTERS)

World

China blasts U.S. over ‘indiscriminate’ sanctions on Russia’s war economy

We call on the United States (U.S.) to stop the indiscriminate, illegal, unilateral sanctions,’’ said Foreign Ministry spokesman Lin Jian.

Africa

AfDB grants South Sudan $8.6 million to boost non-oil revenue mobilisation

The African Development Fund, AfDB’s concessional window, will provide $6.62 million, while $1.98 million will come from the ADF’s Transition Support Facility.

AfD and Maximilian Krah (Credit: wikipedia)

World

Far-right group rejects Germany’s AfD despite dropping Krah

After last week’s election, elected AfD members of parliament decided by a majority on Monday not to include Mr Krah in their delegation.

SUPREME COURT AND LATEEF FAGBEMI

NationWide

Supreme Court reserves judgment in FG’s suit against states’ control of LGs

The governors of the 36 states were sued through their respective attorneys general.

Africa

Afreximbank launches African economic outlook report, forecasts 4% growth in 2025

The latter report forecasts that African economies will grow on average by 3.8% in 2024 – slightly ahead of predicted global growth of 3.2% – prior to increasing by 4% in 2025.