#LekkiMassacre: ICC opens preliminary findings against Nigerian Army, other actors

The International Criminal Court has launched preliminary findings to establish the role of Nigerian Army and other actors in the October 20 fatal shooting of protesters in Lagos.
At least nine Nigerians were killed when soldiers opened live rounds by Lekki Toll-Gate, south of the commercial capital, during a dusk operation to quell then-ongoing #EndSARS agitation against police brutality.
The Nigerian Army has denied wrongdoing, but citizens and world leaders have called for a thorough investigation of the attack, which came as protesters were singing the national anthem. Lagos authorities also denied wrongoing.
But an ICC prosecutor confirmed to the BBC on Wednesday that the international crimes tribunal has received a petition that carried claims of the massacre.
Investigators at the ICC are not trying to “assess whether the legal criteria for opening an investigation under the Rome Statute… are met,” the BBC reported on Wednesday.
The BBC said the ICC confirmed that the person who filed the petition had already made its details public, although Peoples Gazette has yet to identify the petitioner or specific details of their criminal complaints.
A spokesman for the Nigerian Army did not immediately return a request seeking comments about the investigation. But Chief of Army Staff Tukur Buratai had said last week advised soldiers not to be afraid of an ICC inquiry into the deadly Lekki operation, saying it met legal and operational criteria.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countriesÂ
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in ZamfaraÂ
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.Â

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.Â

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.Â

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham ForestÂ
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.Â






