Thursday, September 29, 2022

More Boko Haram terrorists surrender, army says

The army said the surrendered terrorists comprised 19 male fighters, 19 adult females and 49 children from Njimia village and environs.

• August 4, 2021
Boko Haram terrorists surrender
Boko Haram terrorists surrender

The Nigerian Army says the intensity of fire by troops of Operation Hadin Kai, has forced more Boko Haram/Islamic States West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists to surrender in the North East

Director, Army Public Relations, Brigadier-General Onyema Nwachukwu, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.

Mr Nwachukwu said the terrorists, who surrendered with their families, had hitherto hibernated around the fringes of Sambisa forest area of Borno before yielding to troops’ heavy artillery and air bombardments on August 2.

He said the surrendered terrorists comprised 19 male fighters, 19 adult females and 49 children from Njimia village and environs.

According to him, the terrorists who also surrendered several assorted weapons and incendiaries, lamented that the condition in the forest had become untenable, hence their surrendering.

Mr Nwachukwu said the firearms and incendiaries recovered from the terrorists included eight AA47 rifles, one General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG), two Fabrique Nationale (FN) rifles and one dane gun.

He added that one Makarov pistol, 89 rounds of 7.62mm (special) ammunition, 89 rounds of 12.7mm ammunition, 66 rounds of 7.62mm (NATO) ammunition, five 9mm rounds of ammunition, two hand grenades, 27 AK47 rifle magazines and two FN rifle magazines were also recovered.

Also recovered, according to him are one pistol magazine, one 60mm mortar bomb, 10 14.5mm empty cases, two primed suicide vests, 72 trigger switches, 10 primed Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) and five electric detonating chords.

It also included six packs of water gel explosives, six mobile phones, one camouflage bag, two hard drives and N55,000 among others.

“The terrorists and their families are currently undergoing comprehensive security profiling and preliminary investigations, while the children have been administered the oral polio vaccines,” he added.

Meanwhile, Mr Nwachukwu said that the Chief of Staff, Lieutenant-General Faruk Yahaya, has commended the troops for the sustained offensive and clearance operations conducted in the theatre.

He, however, charged them to maintain the momentum. 

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

President Muhammadu Buhari

World

Buhari restates Nigeria’s commitment to non-proliferation of nuclear weapons treaty

Mr Buhari said that expending further resources on nuclear weapons stockpiling and maintenance was senseless.

States

Four killed in fatal road accident in Bauchi

He said the accident involved one private car and a commercial vehicle and it was blameable on speed violation and loss of control.

Economy

Telcos threaten to cut off USSD services over banks’ N80 billion debt

The debt has now risen to N80 billion from N42 billion earlier this year, said ALTON president Gbenga Adebayo.

President Muhammadu Buhari

NationWide

Buhari cautions candidates, media handlers against personal attacks during campaigns

He said that as the president, he has always reiterated his commitment to a peaceful, credible and transparent election.

Politics

My 4 wives, 28 children will vote for Tinubu, APC: Ado Doguwa

“I have done my flag off with my 28 children and four wives, who will vote for Tinubu and every other candidate of the APC.”

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo

Heading 5

Osinbajo urges elites to bridge gaps between haves and have-nots

Mr Osinbajo said that the federal government’s Social Investment Programmes and other welfare programmes were meant to address societal gaps.