Naira Notes: Supreme Court fixes March 3 for ruling on states’ lawsuit against Buhari

The Supreme Court on Wednesday scheduled judgement on the lawsuit filed by governors against the Buhari regime for March 3 over naira notes.
At least 17 states have joined a consolidated suit demanding the prohibition of President Muhammadu Buhari from suddenly implementing the redesign of the national currency.
The Supreme Court, after hearing from dozens of lawyers on both governors and federal government’s sides, said a judgement would be delivered on the matter next month.
The judgment date will be after the presidential election on February 25. The court had previously issued an order saying the old notes should remain in circulation.
Arguments during today’s hearing focused on a contempt decision against Attorney-General Abubakar Malami, who had failed to implement the court’s decision for old notes to keep circulating until a substantive ruling on the matter.
The states, including Kaduna and Lagos, sued the Buhari regime earlier this month, arguing that implementing a change of banknotes at this time would hurt citizens. Banks have not been able to make available new notes to Nigerians, which has caused economic hardships.
The Central Bank of Nigeria, which introduced the new notes on Mr Buhari’s directive, said it would try to make available the much-sought N500 and N1,000 notes.
Details shortly…
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
NCC @37: Commission honours five former DGs, 12 retired directors
Mr Ekpo said Mr Obasanjo provided free land that enabled the commission to carry out an expansion programme.

Faith
Emir of Rano to lead Kano pilgrims for 2027 Hajj: Gov. Yusuf
The CPS said that the emir and the emirate thanked the governor for the singular honour.

Heading 2
Troops kill one suspected kidnapper, arrest two others in Benue
Mr Zubairu noted that the other members of the group fled in disarray.

Heading 4
Public service measured by impact, not years in office, Fagbemi says
Mr Fagbemi commended the management and staff of the NCC.

Heading 5
Kano, FG expanding irrigation infrastructure to boost food security, economic developmentÂ
Mr Yusuf commended the federal government for its intervention.

Abuja
Completion of abandoned projects hallmark of my three-year tenure: WikeÂ
Mr Wike said his team had remained committed to its mandate despite initial challenges.






