Thursday, August 20, 2026

NBC scraps annual digital TV access fee

The National Broadcasting Commission says Nigerians will no longer pay annual Digital Access Fees under the renewed Digital Switch Over project.

• July 16, 2026
Collage of TVs
Collage of TVs

The National Broadcasting Commission says Nigerians will no longer pay annual Digital Access Fees under the renewed Digital Switch Over project.

NBC’s director-general, Charles Ebuebu, disclosed this in an interview on Wednesday in Abuja.

Mr Ebuebu said viewers only need to purchase an approved decoder and satellite dish, which cost less than N20,000, to enjoy free television permanently.

“Previously, users paid an annual digital access fee of about N1,500, described as an administrative charge. The new system removes that annual fee. It provides free access to free-to-air television channels.

“Premium channels will be introduced later. Viewers who want those additional channels can access them through paid services. Nigerian content on free-to-air channels remains free to watch. Unlike Pay TV, this platform does not require monthly subscriptions for its basic service,” he said

Mr Ebuebu said approved decoders for the Freetv will cost less than N20,000, and authorised sales outlets will soon be announced.

He urged Nigerians to wait for official information on approved dealers for the DSO decoders, warning that unauthorised sellers are exploiting growing public demand.

He reiterated that people only need a free-to-air decoder and a satellite dish, rather than the old antenna system, to receive the DSO signal.

“Once the equipment is installed, viewers can access all available channels across the country without paying any subscription fees,” he stressed.

According to him, the NBC will soon publish the list of approved dealers, official prices, and locations where genuine decoder boxes and accessories can be purchased.

The NBC boss said the DSO project is designed not only to improve television broadcasting but also to stimulate economic growth by creating jobs, attracting investment, and opening up opportunities for businesses that support the broadcasting industry.

Mr Ebuebu noted that content producers and broadcasters stand to benefit significantly from the DSO platform’s nationwide reach.

Unlike the previous system, where many stations had limited regional audiences, he said the new platform will make their channels available to viewers across Nigeria.

He added that the introduction of audience measurement technology will provide scientific and reliable data on television viewership.

Mr Ebuebu added that audience measurement technology will give advertisers greater confidence in placing adverts and enable broadcasters to demonstrate the true size and reach of their audiences nationwide.

(NAN) 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

YouTube, Netflix

Economy

YouTube offers millions of dollars to creators to edge out Netflix

YouTube has moved to offer millions of dollars to selected top creators in exchange for exclusivity on the platform to edge out Netflix.

Evergrande founder Hui Ka-Yan

Anti-Corruption

China’s billionaire Evergrande founder Hui Ka-Yan sentenced to life in prison, personal property to be confiscated

The founder and former chairman of China Evergrande Group, Hui Ka-Yan, has been sentenced to life imprisonment after pleading guilty to corporate bribery.

Anti-Corruption

Corruption Proceeds: Tinubu meets EFCC chairman, housing minister on how to manage, dispose of seized properties

The meeting reviewed how to manage seized residential properties in line with the principles of transparency and accountability.

Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar

Abuja

Tinubu govt looted fuel subsidy funds, I’ll restore policy if elected president: Atiku

“Where is the money? They stole it. I will return fuel subsidy. The big thing was that they removed the subsidy, but where is the money?” stated Mr Abubakar.

El-Rufai in court

Rights

El-Rufai’s request for transfer of trial to another judge rejected

Kaduna’s chief judge said there was no basis to transfer Mr El-Rufai’s case file from Justice Darius Khobo of the Kaduna State High Court.

PRESIDENT BOLA AHMED TINUBU

Politics

Let us debate issues, Tinubu challenges Atiku, Obi ahead of 2027 presidential poll

Let us campaign on superior ideas. Let us debate issues and promote the best policies to expand opportunities for our people.