Thursday, August 20, 2026

Nigerian Army detained female soldier over theft allegation: Official

The spokesperson, Lt.-Col. Appolonia Anele, in a statement on Tuesday, said the soldier was in detention in connection with the allegation of theft.

• May 27, 2025
Nigerian Army logo
Nigerian Army logo[Credit: New Telegraph]

The Nigerian Army says a female soldier, Cpl. Amina Maidoki is currently under investigation in connection with allegations of conduct inconsistent with the core values of the military.

The spokesperson, Lt.-Col. Appolonia Anele, in a statement on Tuesday, said the soldier was in detention in connection with the allegation of theft.

Ms Anele said the army, as a professional military institution, was guided by extant provisions of the Armed Forces Act (Cap A20 LFN 2004), internal regulations, and the highest standards of military ethics.

“Consequently, her temporary detention is in accordance with the lawful procedures stipulated for service personnel. It is important to note that disciplinary measures within the Nigerian Army are not arbitrary.

“They are governed by due process, and all personnel are entitled to procedural fairness.

“The ongoing investigation into this matter is being conducted with the utmost regard for Corporal Maidoki’s legal and human rights, and she continues to receive appropriate welfare in line with military standards,” she said.

Ms Anele denied allegations of unlawful detention or denial of legal representation, adding that such claims were false and had been made solely to mislead the public and evoke undue sentiment.

She said the Nigerian Army acknowledges the concerns of Cpl. Maidoki’s family on the emotional toll this may cause.

Ms Anele assured that the army remained open to lawful communication and engagement, provided such interactions align with the operational and investigative procedures currently in place.

“Allegations of misconduct must be addressed thoroughly and lawfully to preserve the integrity, cohesion, and effectiveness of the Nigerian Army.

“We urge the general public and media to refrain from speculative commentary and allow the ongoing internal processes to run without interference.

“Updates will be provided at the appropriate time, in line with our commitment to transparency and accountability,” she states.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.