Nigerian banks may lose deposits to CBN eNaira: IMF Report

A report by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) expert suggests that demand for deposits in Nigerian commercial banks may reduce due to the introduction of eNaira.
In the publication released on Tuesday, Jack Ree, an economist with IMF, highlighted the need to manage potential risks that could spring in the cause of making transactions with the recently launched e currency.
He explained that the currency’s heavy reliance on digital technology warrants the need to adequately manage cybersecurity and operational risks associated with the digital currency.
“…eNaira wallets may be perceived, or even effectively function, as a deposit at the central bank, which may reduce demand for deposits in commercial banks,” he said. “Relying as it does on digital technology, there is a need to manage cybersecurity and operational risks associated with the eNaira.”
The report came shortly after renowned financial expert Biodun Adedipe argued that the newly-launched e-Naira would not affect deposits of commercial banks.
Mr Adedipe said e-Naira could not replace deposits or reduce the ability of the banks to create credits. According to him, banks will not lose their deposits to digital naira because of limits on e-Naira wallet transactions.
However, Mr Ree in the IMF report explained that the eNaira wallets might effectively function, as a deposit at the central bank, resulting in a decline in the demand for deposits in commercial banks.
He highlighted monetary policy implementation, cyber security, operational resilience, and financial integrity and stability as other concerns that could spring up in the cause of transacting with the digital currency.
The eNaira was launched by President Muhammadu Buhari and CBN governor Godwin Emefiele at an elaborate event at the State House in October.
Mr Emefiele, during the launch, disclosed that N500 million had been minted by the bank, of which N200 million was issued to financial institutions. He also noted that over 2,000 customers had been onboarded on the platform.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
FG adds 208 MW transmission capacity to boost industries in Lagos
Minister of Power, Joseph Tegbe, said it would strengthen electricity supply to some of Lagos’ most economically important corridors.

States
Voter apathy mars Bauchi LG poll
At some polling centres in the Dawaki, Tirwun, Kofar, Ran and Yelwa areas of Bauchi, there were no voters or election officials, despite the deployment of security personnel.

Agriculture
Two herders arraigned over alleged unlawful grazing
The prosecutor alleged that the defendants unlawfully grazed their cattle on unauthorised farmland in the Itapaji-Ekiti forest.

States
NDC hails Gov Adeleke, says Osun election triumph for democracy
The NDC said Mr Adeleke’s victory in Saturday’s governorship election was a triumph for democracy and the people’s will.

States
Army deploys new measures to boost security in Sokoto-Kebbi border communities
The Nigerian Army said it readjusted its security architecture to prevent further terrorist attacks on communities between Sokoto and Kebbi states.

States
Police warn against forceful takeover of Osun LG secretariats
Mr Etaifo said those planning to take over local government secretariats forcefully would be arrested and prosecuted.






