Saturday, August 22, 2026

Nigerian Supreme Court sidesteps Bola Tinubu’s certificate forgery, affirms president’s 2023 election victory

The judgement delivered on Thursday postponed the battle over the Nigerian president’s certificate forgery till the 2027 general elections.

• October 26, 2023
President Bola Tinubu
President Bola Tinubu [Photo: officialABAT]

The Nigerian Supreme Court, on Thursday, affirmed Bola Tinubu’s election as the president of Nigeria after dismissing a piece of crucial evidence that showed the Nigerian leader presented a falsified certificate to run for office.

The court’s seven-member panel said Mr Tinubu was duly elected in February 2023 and should be allowed to remain in office for the next four years.

The justices said the material filed by Mr Tinubu’s main challenger Atiku Abubakar, which included the transcript of a deposition in which Chicago State University disowned the certificate Mr Tinubu submitted to the electoral office on June 17, 2022, to certify his eligibility as a presidential candidate, came too late to be accepted into evidence. The court held that supplemental evidence could not be filed outside of 180 days post-election, even though the court had previously accepted evidence in similar circumstances in the past.

“The appellants failed to convince this court on why it waited until after the Court below delivered judgement in the petition and lost the 180 days donated to it by the Constitution before bringing the said deposition to be admitted in this court,” Justice Inyang Okoro stated Thursday morning.

While the decision would allow Mr Tinubu to remain in office as president, he’s still likely to face a fresh battle over the forged certificate if he decides to seek reelection in 2027 because today’s judgement did not go into the veracity of the document, but only that it was too late to tender it now.

Mr Abubakar did not file the evidence at the Court of Appeal, which is the initial court of jurisdiction over presidential election petitions, because he was unable to obtain the evidence on time from the United States. 

The court’s decision appeared to solidify the fears of Nigerians, who warned prior to today’s ruling that the court would be passing a negative opinion about Nigeria as a country where forgery, identity theft and other serious crimes are condoned even at the highest levels.

Another opposition leader, Peter Obi, suggested earlier in the week that a culture of corruption in the judiciary would hamper it from delivering a clear verdict based on the evidence before it.

The court also settled the ambiguity over whether or not the Nigerian Constitution required the scoring of at least 25 per cent of votes cast in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, for a candidate to be declared winner. The Supreme Court justices, siding with their colleagues at the Court of Appeal, said voters in the Nigerian capital are not unique, and their votes should carry the same weight as citizens in the rest of the country. 

The court also ruled that the Independent National Electoral Commission had the power to set guidelines for elections. The department faced criticism for failing to implement electronic transmission of election results in violation of its guidelines and public statements in the weeks and days leading to the February 25 exercise.

The apex court stated that it would not re-litigate the allegation of double nomination against Kashim Shettima, who ran for the Senate before getting tapped as Mr Tinubu’s running mate, since the same court had, in May, deemed him qualified in a similar petition raised by the PDP.

Alongside Mr Okoro, the six remaining Supreme Court associate justices who determined Mr Tinubu’s victory included Uwani Abba-Aji, Lawal Garba, Ibrahim Saulawa, Adamu Jauro, Tijjani Abubakar and Emmanuel Agim.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Governor Agbu Kefas, Aisha Barde and others

States

Taraba govt unveils action plan to tackle climate change

Mr Kefas urged the federal government, the national council on climate change and other stakeholders to work with the state to implement the policy and action plan.

Edo Queens (Credit: Nigerian Guardian)

Africa

Edo Queens ready to contest WAFU B qualifying ticket in Ouagadougou, says coach

The WAFU-B qualifiers will determine the team that represents the zone at the 2026 CAF Women’s Champions League.

NationWide

Troops rescued 59 kidnap victims, killed several terrorists in one-week nationwide operations: DHQ

Mr Onoja said the troops of Operation Hadin Kai rescued eight kidnap victims during the week in the North-East.

Uber Taxi

Hot news Home top

Uber fined $966 million for deactivating drivers’ accounts over alleged fraudulent practices

Uber said it disagreed with the regulator’s decision and said it would file an appeal.

NationWide

Defence minister, gender advocates, others seek women inclusion in governance

The minister stressed the need for women to contribute their quota to tackle complex security challenges within the country.

The colleagues at the session.

Heading 1

Ogogo: Colleagues hold prayer session for ailing Nollywood actor

He prayed God Almighty to give Mr Hassan’s family, friends, and colleagues the strength to stand by the actor.