‘No religious intolerance in Nigeria,’ Islamic council slams Trump over Christian genocide claim

The Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) has slammed U.S. President Donald Trump over allegations of Christian genocide in Nigeria.
In a statement on its X handle on Monday, the country’s apex Islamic body said Muslims and Christians are victims of armed criminals in Nigeria.
“There is no Christian genocide in Nigeria. No Muslim genocide. No religious intolerance. The Nigerian tragedy is that of poverty, climate change, bad governance over time, and armed criminals who kill indiscriminately while a section of the world seeks to exploit the situation,” the NSCIA said.
It added, “The ‘genocide’ claim completely collapses when confronted with reality, context, and verifiable data. @ACLEDINFO report of 2022 proves conclusively that the driver of violence in Nigeria is not anti-Christian persecution, as Muslims and people of other faiths are also affected.”
The Islamic organisation further assured “genuine Christian brothers and sisters” that they’re not enemies of Islam and Muslims.
“You are not our enemies; you are our compatriots, colleagues, and neighbours,” it said. “We are both victims of a failed security architecture and a brutal criminal insurgency that targets us all. We have never denied our collective pain.”
Mr Trump had earlier threatened to deploy troops or launch air strikes in Nigeria to halt what he described as the mass killing of Christians in the country.
Asked last week Sunday if he envisioned troops on the ground or air strikes in Nigeria, Mr Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One that he was considering several military options to protect Christians in Nigeria.
Mr Trump’s remarks came shortly after his administration reinstated Nigeria on its Countries of Particular Concern list—a U.S. designation for nations accused of violating religious freedoms. Other countries on the list include China, Myanmar, North Korea, Russia, and Pakistan.
The Islamic group, however, said, “The U.S. government’s reimposition of the ‘Country of Particular Concern’ (CPC) designation on Nigeria is an act of political cynicism. This is the same designation placed on China and Russia. This designation of Nigeria was lifted by the previous U.S. administration in 2023 when the USA acknowledged the complex reality.
“Its re-imposition by President Trump is not based on new facts: it is a political tool, wielded by lobbyists, and it cheapens the very idea of ‘religious freedom.”’
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






