Ogun: Man fakes own kidnap to escape N1 million gambling debt

The Ogun State Amotekun Corps has arrested a 41-year-old man, Enitan Awoyemi, for allegedly faking his abduction in an attempt to avoid the payment of a N1 million gambling debt.
The state’s commander of Amotekun, Alade Adedigba, said in a statement that Mr Awoyemi was arrested on Wednesday, three days after he faked his abduction.
Mr Adedigba said Mr Awoyemi, a resident of Irolu Remo in the Ikenne Local Government Area of Ogun State, on Sunday, contacted his wife, Tope Awoyemi, claiming unknown assailants abducted him and demanded a N5 million ransom to secure his release.
He said Mrs Awoyemi immediately alerted the Amotekun post in Irolu, after which officers conducted an investigation and discovered Mr Awoyemi made a false claim.
Mr Adedigba said this resulted from Mr Awoyemi’s inability to repay N1 million debt from gambling losses in a lotto game.
“Upon receiving the report, the Amotekun Intelligence team commenced an investigation into the matter, and findings from the investigation revealed that Enitan Awoyemi had accumulated substantial debts related to gambling in a lotto game, amounting to a staggering N1 million,” Mr Adedigba said.
He said the investigation showed Mr Awoyemi, an avid player of the game, previously won N6 million and had purchased a Toyota Camry car and a Bajaj boxer motorcycle from his winning for commercial purposes.
The commander said, “Awoyemi was ultimately arrested at the Irolu Okada Park in the early hours of Wednesday during routine patrol operations by the Amotekun officers.”
He said that upon Mr Awoyemi’s apprehension, Amotekun officers noted a strong smell of insecticide from him, raising concerns about an attempted suicide.
Mr Adedigba said the suspect had been admitted at Rufina Private Hospital, Iperu, Ogun State, and would be handed over to the police upon discharge.
“Amotekun was committed to taking necessary action, and once Awoyemi is discharged from the hospital, he would be handed over to the police for further proceedings,” Mr Adedigba added.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Agriculture
Ekiti LG distributes improved cocoa seedlings to farmers
The chairman of Ikole Local Government Area, Bayo Omojola, said the seedlings would boost earnings and improve farmers’ livelihoods.

Economy
PENGASSAN elects Bosun Olabiyi-Agoro as national president
Mr Olabiyi-Agoro succeeds Festus Osifo, who served as the association’s national president for six years.

States
Fire guts Calabar mall
The inferno reportedly started around 7:00 a.m. in a section of the mall before spreading rapidly and growing into a huge fire.

Politics
2027: Shun thuggery, promote peace, Plateau CP tells youths
Mr Faniyan said youths remain central to democracy and national development.

Lagos
Lagos govt begins stakeholder engagement on Ikotun junction upgrade
The proposed upgrade covers the intersection of Ijegun, Isolo, and Idimu roads and aims to improve traffic flow, connectivity, and mobility in the area.

Economy
Tinubu’s fuel subsidy removal enriched governors, made life unbearable for Nigerians: Donald Duke
Mr Duke accused the Tinubu administration of implementing economic policies that enriched government coffers rather than the people.






