Friday, August 21, 2026

Ogun, Oyo: IBEDC workers abducted, kidnappers demand N300 million ransom

The police spokesman in Oyo said he did not know the exact ransom the kidnappers asked for, amid reports of a N300 million ransom.

• May 4, 2026
Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC)
Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC)

The management of Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company confirmed on Monday the kidnapping of several employees on Wednesday.

In a statement, IBEDC stated that efforts are, however, being made with security agencies to ensure the safe return of both victims.

“Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company Plc (IBEDC) confirms that two of its staff members under the Ogun region were abducted on Wednesday, April 29, 2026. We are deeply concerned about this situation, and our thoughts are with our colleagues and their families at this difficult time.

“IBEDC is working closely with relevant security agencies to ensure the safe return of the affected staff. We are also in active engagement with their families, providing the necessary support. Given the sensitive nature of this incident and ongoing efforts to solve it, we are unable to provide further details at this time,” said IBEDC.

The abducted IBEDC workers are Seun Bakare and Idris Salami. A third employee, Bisola Owoade, kidnapped alongside them, had already been released earlier.

The spokesman for the police command in Oyo, Ayanlade Olushola, confirmed the kidnap to Peoples Gazette on Monday. The IBEDC workers were on official duty at Sayeed Farm, in Olohunde village, when they were abducted.

Mr Ayanlade said, “There was a case reported that two staff of IBEDC, while they were at Sayeed Farm, trying to, I think, on meter reading…on official duty, were abducted by yet-to-be-identified men. Ever since then, the command has intensified efforts in ensuring that they are rescued unharmed and reunited with their families.”

The police spokesman in Oyo said he did not know the exact ransom the kidnappers asked for, amid reports of a N300 million ransom.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Sierra Leone

Africa

China, UN agree to strengthen cooperation for Sierra Leone’s development

Both sides emphasised the value of closer coordination among Sierra Leone, the UN and China. 

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia ‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌swears in seven commissioners, inaugurates BTV board

Mr Alia charged the commissioners to regard their positions as responsibilities to the people. 

Governor Monday Okpebholo

States

Nigeria still safe despite security challenges: Gov Okpebholo 

The governor thanked the organisation for its intervention in the state health sector.

Yan Diomandé

Sport

Yan Diomandé: Meet Africa’s most expensive footballer in history

After signing a seven-year deal with Real Madrid of Spain worth $144

Bolaji Abdullahi

NationWide

Atiku boycotted Peace Accord due to failures of past agreements to stop election violence, killings: ADC

The party faulted the Peace Accord Committee over Senator Francis Fadahunsi’s threat of violence.

police

States

Police nab three over alleged murder in Anambra

Mr Ikenga said that the incident occurred on August 17.