Okada Ban: Lagos crushes 2,000 seized motorcycles

The Lagos State Government has commenced the crushing of about 2,000 impounded motorcycles in line with its ban on motorcycle “Okada” operations in the state.
The state government banned their operation in six Local Government Areas (LGAs) and nine Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) from June 1.
The Commissioner for Transportation, Dr Frederic Oladeinde, made this known in a statement in Lagos.
He reiterated the government’s commitment to safety and security of lives and property.
The Commissioner for Information & Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, while addressing newsmen at the crushing of the bikes in Ikeja, stated that the exercise showed that the government was not rescinding its decision.
Lauding Lagosians for the high level of compliance observed in the six LGAs, Mr Omotoso mentioned that so far, 21 people had been charged to court for flouting the ban, with over 2,000 bikes confiscated.
He stated that provision had been made for motorcycle riders affected by the ban interested in operating the First and Last Mile buses to be integrated into the scheme.
Mr Omotoso further disclosed that affected riders might consider enrolling at any of the 18 vocational centres across the state or access the Lagos State Employment Trust Funds to explore other fields of work.
He said that Okada was not a safe means of commercial transportation and did not fit into the transport policy of the state.
Mr Oladeinde, said the crushed motorcycles were apprehended by the enforcement agencies from the six LGAs and nine LCDA’s.
He said the government was not relenting in its effort to ensure motorcycles remained banned in the areas.
Urging Lagos residents to remain calm and patient with the government, Mr Oladeinde assured that the ongoing implementation of the multi-modal transportation system would cater for the commuting needs of the citizenry.
He affirmed that more buses, taxis and boats had been deployed to ensure that commuters had decent alternatives to get to their destinations.
Mr Oladeinde stressed that Lagos residents should adhere to the ban instituted and obey all the state traffic laws by extension.
Chairman Lagos State Task Force, CSP Shola Jejeloye, also declared that enforcement would be intensified by next week, sounding a note of warning to recalcitrant riders.
He said riders waiting for the enforcement team to weaken its resolve on the ban were wasting their time, adding that the Lagos State Task Force would live up to its responsibility.
(NAN).
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Nigerian businesses offered platform to fight AI-driven cybercrime
Digital Encode, a Nigerian cybersecurity company, says it has deployed an AI platform to help organisations fight increasingly sophisticated cybercrime.

States
Kano assembly seeks modernisation of Murtala library to boost reading culture
The Kano State House of Assembly has urged the state government to urgently undertake a total overhaul and facelift of the state-owned library.

States
APM wins Bauchi local govt elections
Some opposition parties boycotted the elections, alleging that the exercise contravened the 2026 Bauchi State Electoral Act.

Sport
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan
Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.






