Ondo governor frees alleged murderers, kidnappers, thieves, over 40 others

Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa’s administration has pardoned an octogenarian, Isiaka Momodu, and 56 other inmates awaiting trial at the Nigerian Correctional Centres, Olokuta in Ondo.
Mr Momodu, who had been standing trial for two years and three months for rape, was released with others.
According to a statement on Thursday, the inmates were released during the visit of Kayode Ajulo, the commissioner for justice and attorney general, and the chief judge, Ayedun Odusola.
During the visits, 15 inmates were released in Akure,18 in the Ondo male facility, six at the Ondo female facility, and 18 at Okitipupa unconditionally.
Other inmates who had also been standing trials in the Olokuta facility included Odeh Friday, 35, and Peter Ufomadu, 30, charged with robbery and conspiracy for over five years.
Ismaila Abdulrasaq, 36, standing trial for three years, was released for lack of witnesses, while Emmanuel Ianna, 32, standing trial for two years over conspiracy, was also released; Taiwo Komolafe, 65, Dele James, 38; Danladil Kuku, Peter Sunday, Emmanuel Isaac, Ayomide Oladeji, Wale Olaolu, Ola Ojo, Joseph Amos, 45 and a teenager, Essan Doland charged with stealing were all released.
In Ondo, 57-year-old Ayo Odunsi and Sola Ayemibo, who were standing trial for alleged murder, were pardoned based on legal advice from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions, while Training Ebegbe and Okutu Elokumo, 32, charged with kidnapping were released unconditionally on critical health ground.
At the female custodian centre in Ondo, those released were a nursing mother, Grace Akinsanmi, 29, charged with stealing (released on humanitarian grounds), Yusuf Sherif, 39, who was standing trial for concealing the death of a newborn baby for two years while Opeyemi Oguntimoju, 32; Olasunkanmi Kolawole, Joy Anthony and Bukola Oyatunde who were charged for stealing were pardoned.
The pardoned inmates include Adams Isiaka, 33, standing trial for unlawful possession of firearms and Edet Ezekiel, 25, charged with breach of peace. Samuel Kastin, Gbenga Dadeni, 44; Mukaila Yisa, 28; Tunde Ibrahim, 41; Philip Samuel, 28; Samson Paul, 25; Joseph Okon, 25; Emmanuel Okuti, 34; Emmanuel Peter,22; John Fanen, 34; and Biliaminu Muhammed, 42, were charged with stealing.
In Okitipupa, a 63-year-old Muhammad Basiru, charged with kidnapping, was pardoned on health grounds, while Sunday Miracle, 20; Segun Adeniran, 30; James Anthony, 23; Goodness Sunday, Ibrahim Isaiaka, Adeluwoye Imoleyin, 21; Eze Emmanuel and other 10 inmates standing trial for stealing were released unconditionally.
“This act highlights the AG’s commitment to upholding the rule of law and ensuring fair treatment within the correctional system. It is a progressive approach to justice and rehabilitation within Ondo state, marking a new chapter in the State’s commitment to humane and equitable legal practices,” the statement said.
It added, “The pardon not only offers a second chance but also reflects the government’s dedication to upholding the principles of justice and fairness.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.






