Sunday, August 23, 2026

Ondo lawmakers boycott plenary, demand speaker’s resignation over N9 billion OSOPADEC budget

Olatunji Ifabiyi, the spokesperson for the Ondo State House of Assembly, says lawmakers will not hold a plenary until the speaker, Olamide Oladiji, resigns.

• July 27, 2026
Olatunji Ifabiyi
Olatunji Ifabiyi

Olatunji Ifabiyi, the spokesperson for the Ondo State House of Assembly, says lawmakers will not hold a plenary until the speaker, Olamide Oladiji, resigns.

Mr Ifabiyi, in an interview on Monday in Akure, reiterated that the majority of the lawmakers supported the speaker’s removal.

The assembly has been in crisis following a call for the speaker’s resignation for the alleged unilateral reordering of the Ondo State Oil Producing Development Commission (OSOPADEC) 2025 budget of N9.2 billion.

Twenty-one out of the 26 members of the assembly signed a resolution to impeach the speaker if he failed to resign.

“We have resolved not to hold a plenary until there is a change of speaker. For now, there is no development except that Mr Speaker should just give way and allow another person to preside over the Ondo State House of Assembly.

“If he doesn’t resign, we will impeach him. If he fails to do the needful, we will do the needful,” he said.

A principal officer of the assembly, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that the state executive had intervened in the crisis.

“There was a peace broker yesterday (Sunday) with the executive, and we are not permitted to disclose details of the outcome of the meeting.

“I don’t want to be the first to breach the agreement. But I can tell you that the matter has been resolved, but I will not tell you if it was in favour of anybody.

“We too implore internal mechanisms on the agitations in the House of the Assembly, and we are going to hold a plenary soon,” he stated.

The spokesperson, who did not disclose when the assembly would convene for plenary, stated that he was unaware of any meeting on Sunday with the state executive regarding the resolution of the crisis.

Mr Ifabiyi also said that an allegation of assassination on a member of the assembly had been reported to the appropriate authorities for investigation.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Nigerian Copyright Commission (NCC)

NationWide

NCC @37: Commission honours five former DGs, 12 retired directors

Mr Ekpo said Mr Obasanjo provided free land that enabled the commission to carry out an expansion programme.

Governor Abba Yusuf of Kano State

Faith

Emir of Rano to lead Kano pilgrims for 2027 Hajj: Gov. Yusuf

The CPS said that the emir and the emirate thanked the governor for the singular honour.

Troops

Heading 2

Troops kill one suspected kidnapper, arrest two others in Benue

Mr Zubairu noted that the other members of the group fled in disarray.

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike

Abuja

Completion of abandoned projects hallmark of my three-year tenure: Wike 

Mr Wike said his team had remained committed to its mandate despite initial challenges.