Saturday, August 22, 2026

Our military operation against terrorists killing Christians in Nigeria continues: U.S. Govt

In May, U.S. forces in collaboration with Nigerian army carried out airstrikes, killing Abu-Bilal al-Minuki.

• June 3, 2026
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio [Credit: newsweek.com]

U.S. Secretary of State, Marco Rubio, has said that America’s military onslaught against terrorists killing Christians in Nigeria will continue. 

Mr Rubio spoke about U.S. military operation targetted against ISIS terrorists in Nigeria on Tuesday when he testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee during a hearing on the State Department’s Fiscal Year 2027 budget request.

“On Nigeria, where we were all, many were very concerned about violence against Christians. We are now actively in counterterrorism cooperation with the Nigerian government and Nigerian security forces, including a joint operation a couple of weeks ago that took out the number two leader of global ISIS operating from inside of the country, and that continues,” Mr Rubio said.

In May, U.S. forces in collaboration with Nigerian army carried out airstrikes, killing Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, a wanted top ISIS commander, in North-East, Nigeria.

Mr Al-Mainuki, 44, is a Nigerian, born in Mainok, Benisheikh, Borno State, Nigeria’s years-long insurgency battleground. The U.S. authorities designated Mr Al-Minuki a Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT) on June 8, 2023.

The elimination of Mr Al-Minuki comes five months after American forces bombarded terrorists cells in Sokoto State in December 2025, killing many of the militias.

Campaign over alleged Christian genocide in Nigeria, triggered Mr Trump’s action, including his designation of Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern last year.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Governor Agbu Kefas, Aisha Barde and others

States

Taraba govt unveils action plan to tackle climate change

Mr Kefas urged the federal government, the national council on climate change and other stakeholders to work with the state to implement the policy and action plan.

Edo Queens (Credit: Nigerian Guardian)

Africa

Edo Queens ready to contest WAFU B qualifying ticket in Ouagadougou, says coach

The WAFU-B qualifiers will determine the team that represents the zone at the 2026 CAF Women’s Champions League.

NationWide

Troops rescued 59 kidnap victims, killed several terrorists in one-week nationwide operations: DHQ

Mr Onoja said the troops of Operation Hadin Kai rescued eight kidnap victims during the week in the North-East.

Uber Taxi

Hot news Home top

Uber fined $966 million for deactivating drivers’ accounts over alleged fraudulent practices

Uber said it disagreed with the regulator’s decision and said it would file an appeal.

NationWide

Defence minister, gender advocates, others seek women inclusion in governance

The minister stressed the need for women to contribute their quota to tackle complex security challenges within the country.

The colleagues at the session.

Heading 1

Ogogo: Colleagues hold prayer session for ailing Nollywood actor

He prayed God Almighty to give Mr Hassan’s family, friends, and colleagues the strength to stand by the actor.