Monday, August 17, 2026

Over 1,000 Hollywood creatives oppose Paramount’s takeover of Warner Bros

More than 1,000 writers, actors and directors wrote an open letter on Monday opposing Paramount’s proposed acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery.

• April 14, 2026
Hollywood (Credit: Facebook)
Hollywood (Credit: Facebook)

More than 1,000 writers, actors and directors wrote an open letter on Monday opposing Paramount’s proposed acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery, saying the $111 billion deal could weaken Hollywood’s already struggling film and television industry.

The signatories, including Yvette Nicole Brown, Bryan Cranston, Joaquin Phoenix, Kristen Stewart, J.J. Abrams and Denis Villeneuve, said the merger would reduce competition, eliminate jobs and leave creators with fewer opportunities.

“Together, these factors threaten the sustainability of the entire creative community. That includes endangering the professional lives of the tens of thousands of workers who help make up that community in predominantly small businesses and independent companies embedded in local economies and communities nationwide,” the letter stated.

The signatories also said they were concerned that growing support for the deal appeared to favour the interests of a small group of powerful stakeholders over what they described as the “broader public good”.

In the letter, they said combining Paramount and WBD would reduce the number of major US film studios to just four.

They argued that previous mergers had already sped up the disappearance of mid-budget films, weakened independent distribution, eliminated profit and reduced the integrity of screen credit.

“The integrity, independence, and diversity of our industry would be grievously compromised,” the letter added.

The campaign against the merger is backed by several advocacy groups, including the Democracy Defenders Fund, the Writers Guild of America, Free Press, the International Documentary Association, and the Centre for American Progress.

Democracy Defenders Fund co-founder Norm Eisen described the proposed merger  as a threat not only to creativity but also to “the future of free media and a strong entertainment industry in America”, saying they would continue pushing to block the deal.

Actor and activist Jane Fonda, who was also quoted in the campaign, called the merger “one of the most destructive threats to free speech and creative expression in our history”.

The letter also mentioned that California’s attorney general, Rob Bonta, and other state officials are reportedly considering legal action to block the transaction.

The proposed acquisition came in February after Netflix withdrew its bid for WBD, clearing the way for Paramount and Skydance to move ahead with a takeover plan.

Netflix had announced an $82.7 billion cash-and-stock agreement for WBD in December 2025, but said it declined to raise its offer after the WBD board determined that Paramount Skydance had submitted a “superior proposal”.

In a statement, Netflix co-chief executives Ted Sarandos and Greg Peters said matching the latest bid was “no longer financially attractive”.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NDLEA

Lagos

NDLEA destroys N301 billion worth of cocaine, others in Lagos

The drugs were destroyed on Monday following a court order.

Court room used to illustrate the story

States

Police arraign man for alleged N1.8 million motorcycle theft

The prosecutor said the defendant and one other suspect, still at large, committed the offence on August 7 in Ado-Ekiti.

Kwara State

States

Kwara unveils roadmap to tackle viral hepatitis

Kwara State government on Monday inaugurated a comprehensive viral hepatitis elimination roadmap.

Courtroom

Lagos

Lagos police arraign three men over alleged N1.9 million theft

The magistrate adjourned the case until September 2 for mention.

Accord Party

States

Gov Adeleke’s re-election triumph of courage over fear, says Accord Party chairman

Mr Mgbudem said the election was a powerful testament to the people’s resolve to choose their governor freely and peacefully and protect their votes despite all odds.

Tinubu speaking to IBB

Politics

Tinubu celebrates ex-military dictator IBB at 85

“But for his foresight, wisdom, and sense of equity and fairness, many states in the federation might not exist today,” Mr Tinubu reasoned.