Over 40 dead, 1,000 displaced in Plateau attack, says village head

40 persons were killed and about 1,000 displaced in last week’s attack on Hurti, Manguna District of Bokkos Local Government Area (LGA) of Plateau.
Maren Aradong, the village head of Hurti, said this when Samuel Jatau, the secretary to the state government (SSG), led other government officials on an assessment visit to the community on Sunday in Jos.
On April 2, gunmen attacked Hurti, Josho, Daffo, and other communities of the locality.
Gov. Caleb Mutfwang had described the recent attacks and killings in some parts of the state as a coordinated crime sponsored by conflict merchants, and not farmer-herder clashes.
Throwing more light on the incident, Aradong said that the gunmen also looted foodstuff and other items.
“Last Wednesday, at about 3:00 p.m., gunmen invaded our communities in their numbers; they came on motorcycles and attacked us.
“In Hurti alone, these gunmen killed more than 40 people and displaced about 1,000 persons.
“They also burnt 383 houses, destroyed foodstuffs, and looted other items,” he said.
Mr Aradong, who commended the state government and the security personnel for their swift intervention, called for the deployment of more security personnel to the affected communities.
Also commenting on the incident after the attack, Retired Brig.-Gen. Gagji Shipi, the coordinator of Operation Rainbow, a state-owned security outfit, confirmed the attack.
Mr Shipi, who described the incident as a major setback on the peace efforts in the state, said that measures were already being taken to forestall future occurrences.
Speaking during the visit, Mr Jatau, who commiserated with the families who lost their loved ones during the attack, called on the federal government to also provide support for the displaced persons.
The SSG explained that the government delegation was in the community to commiserate with the people and encourage them to be steadfast.
“We are here to see to things for ourselves and ascertain the level of damage done by the attackers.
“It is unfortunate that this era people could attack, kill innocent citizens, and destroy their properties without thinking twice.
“We have seen things for ourselves, and we will report back to the governor; we want to assure the people that they are not alone.
“We are here with some relief materials to cushion the immediate hardship that the people are currently passing through, pending a more lasting solution,” he said.
Some of the items donated to the displaced persons were mattresses, sleeping mats, buckets, bags of rice, beans, and maize.
Other items donated included blankets, cartons of washing and bathing soaps, noodles, and pasta, among others.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Faith
Emir of Rano to lead Kano pilgrims for 2027 Hajj: Gov. Yusuf
The CPS said that the emir and the emirate thanked the governor for the singular honour.

Heading 2
Troops kill one suspected kidnapper, arrest two others in Benue
Mr Zubairu noted that the other members of the group fled in disarray.

Heading 4
Public service measured by impact, not years in office, Fagbemi says
Mr Fagbemi commended the management and staff of the NCC.

Heading 5
Kano, FG expanding irrigation infrastructure to boost food security, economic development
Mr Yusuf commended the federal government for its intervention.

Abuja
Completion of abandoned projects hallmark of my three-year tenure: Wike
Mr Wike said his team had remained committed to its mandate despite initial challenges.

NationWide
Stakeholders fault remittance of unclaimed dividends to DMO
The shareholders said unclaimed dividends remained the property of investors.






