Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Owerri Jailbreak: NCoS prepares to publish names, photos of fleeing inmates

“As we speak, 60 inmates who returned on their own voluntarily are in our custody. Some of them were brought back by their parents, custodians.

• April 7, 2021
Photo from incident scene (Credit: Twitter)
Photo from incident scene (Credit: Twitter)

The federal government says it is preparing to publish names and photos of fleeing Owerri prison inmates in a frantic effort to recapture them, Peoples Gazette learnt.

“As I speak with you, they (information about fleeing inmates) are being processed. Our IT experts are currently working on it. We have their complete pictures and bios. We will publish their pictures online and other strategic places where the general public can see,” said Francis Enobore, spokesman for the Nigerian Correctional Centre (NCoS), in response to The Gazette’s inquiry.

On Monday, the correctional facility and police investigations department in Owerri were set alight by gunmen in an overnight attack.

Multimedia and witnesses account on social media said the attackers struck the prison and police department shortly after midnight, freeing almost 2,000 inmates. Heavy gunfire also rang through the area as hundreds of inmates fled.

Mr Enobore, on Wednesday, told The Gazette that no bounty had been placed on the fleeing inmates.

“I cannot say, for now, the inmates have committed an offence already. But we will wait and allow the inmates to utilise the opportunity given to them by the honourable minister,” the NCoS spokesman explained.

He added some of the inmates that returned were brought back by their relatives.

“As we speak, 60 inmates who returned on their own voluntarily are in our custody. Some of them were brought back by their parents, custodians. The next measure would be determined after the expiration given by the honourable minister,” Mr Enobore stated.

On Tuesday, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo had assured Nigerians that the fleeing inmates would be ‘discovered’ and prosecuted.

Many believe this is a usual soundbite from the government as the authorities have not rearrested many of the escaped inmates of previous jailbreaks, especially the Benin incident.

The government has also continued to put millions of lives in danger as it fails to issue danger alerts to the public along with mugshots of escaped inmates.

Mr Osinbajo gave the assurance while addressing journalists at the Owerri Custodial Centre, Imo, after inspecting the facility to ascertain the extent of damage by hoodlums who attacked the centre on Monday.

Mr Osinbajo, who condemned the attacks on the prison and police headquarters in Owerri, added that the federal government would rejig its security architecture.

He further assured that all those responsible for the attacks would be uncovered and made to face the full wrath of the law.

He asserted that the attacks were against the Nigerians and the government, adding that it will not be condoned.

“Perpetrators of this act will definitely be brought to book. They must not go free. They are cowards and will be discovered and duly prosecuted,” said Mr Osinbajo.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.

Naira Marley and Buba Marwa

States

NDLEA vows to crush drug cartels in Nigeria

The chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Buba Marwa, has vowed to sustain the agency’s crackdown on drug cartels.