Monday, August 17, 2026

Owo Church Massacre: Reactions trail demolition of victims’ memorial park by Ondo govt

The Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa-led administration demolished the memorial park on Saturday.

• June 23, 2025
Demolition of Owo massacre victims' memorial park
Demolition of Owo massacre victims’ memorial park [Credit: Daily Post]

Reactions have trailed the demolition of the memorial park constructed by the former Ondo Governor Rotimi Akeredolu to immortalise the victims of the June 5, 2022, terror attack on St Francis Xavier Catholic Church in Owo.

The attack, which left at least 50 worshippers dead, attracted public outcry and condemnation from local and international organisations.

The Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa-led administration demolished the memorial park on Saturday. The destruction was seen in a viral video, with a bulldozer tearing down the cenotaph inscribed with the victims’ names.

Condemning the demolition on Monday, the former governor’s wife, Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, queried the action of the Aiyedatiwa-led government, saying no society erases its pain to make way for profit.

“What kind of leadership defiles the memory of innocent souls in such a callous manner? Lucky Aiyedatiwa’s demolition of the Owo church massacre monument is not only an act of profound insensitivity; it is a desecration of sacred ground.

“That monument, built by my late husband, Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN, CON, a son of Owo, was a solemn tribute to lives violently cut short in a house of worship. It symbolised collective mourning, remembrance, and healing,” the former first lady said.

Similarly, a former spokesperson to Mr Akeredolu, Richard Olatunde, faulted the demolition.

“The tragic incident of June 5, 2022, was an international tragedy. Given its sensitive nature, I believe the government should have exercised greater caution in demolishing the park. This action will undoubtedly reopen wounds in the hearts of the victims’ families,” he said.

An X user, Tosin. X wrote, “Ondo State government demolished the Owo church attack memorial Park calling it an ‘abomination’ after pressure from Owo palace. Now they want to build a shopping mall there. Imagine the U.S. demolishing the 9/11 Memorial Park. Truly heartbreaking.”

However, the Olowo of Owo, Ajibade Ogunoye, stated that the demolition of the memorial park was at the instance of the palace and the entire good people of the Owo kingdom.

In a statement by his spokesperson, Sam Adewale, the monarch said the location of the structure had earlier been resisted by the Olowo-in-Council and natives.

Mr Ogunoye said the Olowo-in-Council would soon avail the public with the comprehensive details of all that happened concerning the construction.

“And before then, we advise anyone with any issues whatsoever against the demolition to make the palace their target and not the governor, Hon. (Dr.) Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa, who is not in any way responsible for the demolition,” the monarch said.

In a swift response, Mr Aiyedatiwa said the palace had formally requested the demolition through the local government council.

Mr Aiyedatiwa, who spoke through his spokesman, Ebenezer Adeniyan, explained that the memorial park was destroyed after the palace cited its location as a “taboo” to Yoruba culture and values.

“In line with this tradition, the Olowo-in-Council, through the local government authority, formally requested the removal and relocation of the monument.

“Governor Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa, with due respect to both the late governor’s legacy and the sanctity of Yoruba culture, approved the respectful relocation of the monument to a more appropriate location—one that still preserves its solemn purpose without violating cultural norms,” he said.

He added, “Furthermore, the site will now be transformed into a modern market, a community-centred project that honours the dead by improving the lives of the living.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz

Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11

Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport

Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title

Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

Alake at Nigeria Gold Day Celebration event

NationWide

Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits

The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States

Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire

The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz

Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office

Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres