Friday, August 21, 2026

Palestinian children seeking refuge in Egypt bedwet, suffer nightmares due to war in Gaza

“We call for an immediate ceasefire to save children’s lives and future,” Ms Toema pleaded.

• May 23, 2024
GAZA CHILDREN
GAZA CHILDREN [Credit: Middle East Monitor]

Humanitarian group, Save The Children, says Palestinian children who escaped the war in Gaza to seek refuge in Egypt are still being haunted by the devastating war memories in their new homes.

The organisation that was working with the Egyptian government to provide financial gifts and emotional assistance to refugees released a statement on Thursday stating that it had been inundated with requests for psychosocial and mental health support from over 500 Palestinians living in Egypt.

The group said 90 per cent of the requests were for children who had yet to recover from the Israeli incursion.

Parents are “concerned that their children are still triggered by loud noises, cannot sleep or even go to the toilet alone or are withdrawn and not showing any signs of emotion,” Save The Children said in the report.

The group reached out to refugee families in Egypt and was briefed about how the children found it nearly impossible to move past the terrors the war had brought them.

One Mr Waleed, 66, told Save The Children how fireworks now caused his children to shudder in fear.

“Here in Egypt, the children in the street play with fireworks, and when my children hear the fireworks, it makes them feel afraid and freak out when they hear the sounds. It triggers them,” the group cited Mr Waleed as saying.

Heba, mother to three children, said her son Rami, who used to be the superhero of the family, now cowered in fear at strange noises.

“Rami was actually known for always being really brave and he always used to comfort the family. But ever since he got injured, he’s turned into a child who fears any noise, the darkness, he can’t go to the bathroom alone and he can’t be alone,” Ms Heba narrated her son’s ordeal to the group.

Laila Toema, the group’s psychosocial support technical advisor in Egypt, called for a ceasefire stating that about one million children were “in desperate need of mental health services.”

“We call for an immediate ceasefire to save children’s lives and future,” Ms Toema pleaded.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Tinubu with governors

Economy

Subsidy removal made life difficult for Nigerians, Tinubu used money to fund governors’ opulent lifestyle: Atiku

“That is not reform. It is economic arson followed by propaganda about the ashes,” Phrank Shaibu said of President Bola Tinubu’s policies.

Obi in Igbo attire

Politics

I won’t focus on religion, ethnicity in my 2027 presidential election campaign: Obi

“Daddy, I need you to speak to your people in the South-West and Kwara, the Christians in the South-West and Kwara,” Mr Obi said in 2023. “This is a religious war.”

Olu of Warri Ogiame Atuwatse III and Ikate-Elegushi Kingdom Saheed Elegushi

Politics

Elegushi hails Olu of Warri on fifth coronation anniversary

The traditional ruler of Ikate-Elegushi Kingdom, Saheed Elegushi, has praised the Olu of Warri, Ogiame Atuwatse III, for five years of purposeful leadership.

Vice-President Kashim Shettima

Politics

Women networks unveil ‘Project 4+4’ for Tinubu, Shettima

APC women have unveiled the ‘Project 4+4 for Tinubu/Shettima 2027’.

NAPTIP agents

Rights

Rivers: NAPTIP seals off ‘baby factory’ in Port Harcourt

NAPTIP says it has sealed a maternity home in Port Harcourt, Rivers, suspected of operating illegal baby factory activities and trafficking children.

Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP)

Anti-Corruption

Procurement bureau seeks stronger CSO participation in public procurement monitoring

BPP has called for stronger participation of civil society organisations in monitoring Nigeria’s public procurement system to ensure value for public expenditure.