PDP, APC trade words over alleged plans to compromise Ondo guber poll

The opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ondo State has accused the All Progressives Congress (APC) of planning to compromise Saturday’s off-cycle governorship election in the state.
In a statement on Tuesday, the PDP accused the state APC chairman, Ade Adetimehin, of submitting lists of party members to serve as presiding officers and assistant presiding officers for the election.
The statement signed by its spokesperson, Kennedy Peretei, said the party unravelled Mr Adetimehin’s plans after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) trained ad hoc staff.
“The training of presiding officers and assistant presiding officers by the Independent National Electoral Commission is a prerequisite for recruiting such ad hoc staff to function in these capacities.
“Unfortunately, Ade Adetimehin has personally submitted a list of two persons who are APC members per polling unit to INEC to serve as presiding officers and assistant presiding officers, even when these persons did not attend the training.
“The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Ondo State chapter, wishes to alert the public that the APC is banking on compromising the election at all costs, having failed tragically to deliver the dividends of democracy to the people,” it said.
While noting that Mr Adetimehin’s move to allegedly compromise the exercise was apparent, the opposition party added that it had been vindicated by the repeated calls for the redeployment of the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in the state, Mrs Oluwatoyin Babalola from overseeing the poll.
“The entire world is watching, and this move by Adetimehin has vindicated our consistent call for the redeployment of Mrs Oluwatoyin Babalola, the Ondo State Resident Electoral Commissioner, who has Adetimehin’s backing in this evil.
“Our party wishes to admonish all actors to play according to the rule. The entire world is watching, and nobody can hide behind one finger,” PDP stated.
However, in a swift reaction, the APC denied the allegation.
Alex Kalejaiye, spokesperson for the APC, said the party has no reason to compromise the election exercise, stating that it had campaigned vigorously to earn the support of the people of the state.
“It is not true. We have no reason to contemplate compromising the election. We have worked very hard; we have worked for the people.
“We have appealed to the people, and they have shown understanding and a willingness to support the party. Therefore, we have no reason to even consider compromising the election; it is simply not true. This is just one of those fabrications from the PDP.
“There is absolutely no reason to do that. Our strategy is to campaign. There is no reason to take any improper actions to secure a victory,” Mr Kalejaiye said.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Economy
Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner
The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.

States
NDLEA vows to crush drug cartels in Nigeria
The chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Buba Marwa, has vowed to sustain the agency’s crackdown on drug cartels.

States
Zamfara Accord Party governorship candidate hails Adeleke
Zamfara Accord Party governorship flag bearer Musa Yusuf-Garba felicitated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election in the August 15 Osun election.






