Philippine village pays residents to catch mosquitoes to combat dengue fever

A village in Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, is offering one Philippine peso ($0.017) for every five mosquitoes or larvae caught as part of efforts to control rising dengue cases.
The campaign, ‘May Piso sa Mosquito’ (There’s Peso in Mosquito), launched on Wednesday, has drawn crowds to the village hall.
Village chief Carlito Cernal defended the initiative despite criticism from the Department of Health, suggesting waste collection might be a more effective solution.
At least 36 residents have participated so far, with one earning 9 pesos for collecting 45 mosquito larvae.
Some residents have expressed concern that the project could backfire and unscrupulous villagers may breed mosquitoes for the reward.
Nationwide, at least 21 people have died from dengue since January, according to the Department of Health, which recorded a total of 28,234 dengue cases from January to February 1, a 40 per cent increase from the same period in 2024.
Dengue is a life-threatening viral disease spread by mosquitoes in tropical and subtropical regions.
According to the World Health Organisation, in 2024, more than 14 million dengue cases and over 10,000 dengue-related deaths were reported globally.
(dpa/NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Police arrest two suspected kidnappers in Ondo
Police arrested two suspected kidnappers in connection with the abduction of a man, Abubakar Abdullahim, in Ondo State.

States
Security forces kill six suspected secessionists in Anambra
The Commissioner of Police in Anambra, Nnanna Ama, said a joint security team comprising the army, navy, police, SSS, and local vigilantes conducted the operation.

Heading 5
People exploiting actor Taiwo ‘Ogogo’ Hassan’s illness to make money, daughter alleges
Ms Taiwo said some Nigerians are exploiting her father’s ailment to make money.

States
2027: Loyalty to Tinubu, APC non-negotiable, says Ondo reconciliation committee
Dele Olanubi, the committee secretary, said members who left the APC to contest elective offices on other parties’ platforms had forfeited their membership.

States
Kwara monarch, two others kidnapped in fresh bandit attacks
A traditional ruler and two others have been kidnapped by suspected bandits in fresh attacks on Kwara communities.

States
Troops rescue six kidnap victims, recover cash in Katsina
Troops of Fansan Yamma rescued six kidnapped victims and recovered ₦800,000 earlier taken from the victims by the terrorists.






