Plateau Christmas Eve massacre carried out to embarrass, make Tinubu’s government look stupid: Defence Chief

The Defence Headquarters has said the Christmas Eve attacks across communities in Plateau State that left close to 200 dead, many injured and many displaced were planned to embarrass and make the Federal Government look stupid.
The killings marked the seventh month of Mr Tinubu’s assumption of office as President.
“The shocking incident that occurred in Bokkos, Barkin Ladi was quite unfortunate. There was no reason for the attack,” the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa, said in an interview with Channels TV on Monday.
He said, “I think the purpose is to embarrass everybody and to make the government look stupid.”
Mr Musa added that Nigerian military was “making some arrests” connected to the Plateau Christmas Eve killings and explained the military’s delayed response to the distress calls from the attacked villages
Last week Monday, Peoples Gazette reported that over 112 were killed and 47 injured as armed herdsmen in coordinated attacks wreaked havoc on at least 12 communities spanning Barkin Ladi and Bokkos council areas on Christmas Eve. But the number of casualties has increased to over 195 since then as more bodies were recovered.
President Bola Tinubu has condemned the killings, ordering provision of relief materials for survivors. Vice President Kashim Shettima also visited Plateau State with some government officials to condole with families of victims.
In his New Year message, Mr Tinubu left out the Christmas Eve attack in Plateau, claiming that security had improved since he assumed office in May.
However, Amnesty International condemned the attacks, berating Mr Tinubu for failing to protect communities in the state and Nigeria at large.
As Nigerians lamented the incident, the United Nations, France and the U.S. condemned it, charging the Federal Government to bring the perpetrators to book.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
UAE suspends trade, financial transactions with Iran
The UAE has halted all trade, commercial exchange and financial transactions with Iran after the latter attacked several UAE-owned tankers and rejected new talks with the U.S.

States
Umahi warns contractors against abandoning project sites
Works minister David Umahi has directed contractors handling federal government road projects to remain fully active on their sites, warning against abandoning projects.

States
Egg sellers hail Lagos govt for Agege food hub, seeks inclusion
The Eggs Sellers and Distributors Association of Nigeria has commended the Lagos government for establishing the Agege Fresh Food Hub.

States
Two Kaduna women nabbed for stealing deceased friend’s wrappers during mourning
Keziah Nathan, 26, and Janet Caleb, 29, were on Wednesday arraigned before the Kaduna Magistrate’s Court for stealing their late friend’s wrappers.

States
Two Ogun men arraigned for stealing battery
Two men, Sunday Famakinde, 38, and Kehinde Olamide, 35, were arraigned before the Ota Magistrate’s Court in Ogun on Wednesday for stealing a battery worth N100,000.

Politics
Peace Accord: Tinubu not interested in peaceful 2027 elections, declares SDP candidate
“President Tinubu (@officialABAT) not showing up to the National Peace Accord signing yesterday shows that he is not committed to peace,” the politician stated.






