Thursday, August 20, 2026

Police delay Speed Darlington’s release hours after second court order

The police had previously ignored a December 2024 court order directing Speed Darlington’s release.

• January 6, 2025
Speed Darlington
Speed Darlington [Credit; Charge9ja]

The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court has again ordered Inspector-General of Police Kayode Egbetokun to stop flouting court orders and release Darlington Achakpo, a popular Nigerian artiste known as Speed Darlington.

The police had previously ignored a December 2024 court order directing the artiste’s release.

Justice Musa Liman again on Monday directed Mr Egbetokun to free Mr Achakpo, who has been languishing in a police cell for weeks over a controversial lawsuit of defamation against Grammy award-winning singer Damini Ogulu, better known as Burna Boy.

Mr Liman ordered that Mr Achakpo be released to his lawyers, who will then produce him in court for subsequent hearings, particularly so that Marshall Abubakar can stand as surety for the defendant.

But since the court order was issued at noon on Monday, the police were still dilly-dallying on the matter and told Mr Abubakar they would contact him.

As of 3:00 p.m. Monday, the police had not yet contacted the lawyer to hash out details of Mr Achakpo’s release, stirring concerns about the police’s disregard for court orders under Mr Egbetokun’s inspectorship.

Burna Boy has continued to face rumours of allegedly sleeping with fellow man Sean ā€˜Diddy’ Combs in exchange for his Grammy award, given that his collaboration with the U.S. rapper won him his first Grammy award.

Diddy executive produced Burna Boy’s Twice as Tall album, which won a Grammy award in 2021.

ā€œI executive produced his Grammy Award-winning album Twice As Tall,ā€Ā Diddy wrote on XĀ in September 2023.

ā€œI’ve been blessed to work with incredible talent on this album. Me and my brother @BurnaBoy, we developed a brotherhood during quarantine,ā€ Diddy added in his X post.

Lil Rod, a producer who claimed to have worked on Diddy’s album, alleged the rapper pressured him on multiple occasions to haveĀ gay sex with him in exchange for a Grammy award. Diddy said he made many people in the entertainment industry Grammy winners, according to Lil Rod’s account of the matter.

Diddy, 54, was arrested on September 16, 2024, and is facing a morass of lawsuits and charges that include sex trafficking, transportation for prostitution and so on.

While some fans have praised Burna Boy for deploying police to arrest Mr Achakpo over defamation claims to implicitly argue his innocence, other Nigerians have rebuked the artiste for allowing Speed Darlington to spend the Christmas and New Year Holidays behind bars over a civil case that could be resolved in court.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

ā€œKatsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them.Ā 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: PoliceĀ 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido.Ā 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.Ā