Police dislodge ESN hideout in Imo forest, kill six suspected members

The tactical unit of the Imo state police command, on Friday, dislodged a hideout of the Eastern Security Network (ESN), an arm of separatist group, the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), in forest in Ihube, Okigwe Local Government Area.
In a statement by the police spokesperson, Muyiwa Adejobi, the operatives, during the operation, killed six ESN members, three of which were their kingpins.
“Operatives attached to the Imo State Police Command have achieved a significant milestone in the ongoing battle against terrorism with the neutralization of three deadly terrorist kingpins associated with the Eastern Security Network (ESN).”
“On January 24, 2025, operatives from the Command’s tactical Unit following credible intelligence launched a coordinated operation aimed at locating and dislodging the terrorist hideouts.
“The police operatives located the terrorists’ hideout in a forest within Ihube, Okigwe LGA. Upon approach, the operatives came under heavy fire from suspected IPOB/ESN terrorists but demonstrated exceptional courage and engaged the attackers in a fierce gun battle.”
“The operation resulted in the neutralization of 6 members of the terrorist group, with 3 being ESN kingpins identified as Ifeanyi Anayo a.k.a. Zuma De Rock (28), Chukwuemeka Odionyenfe a.k.a. Nmimi (22), and Kingsley Sunday (21)—all natives of Ogube, Ihube in Okigwe Local Government Area.”
The police also said five AK-47 rifles, 552 rounds of live ammunition, Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), several communication equipment, along with 8 operational motorcycles used by the group, were recovered during the operation.
Mr Adejobi said investigation revealed that the group had been involved in several high-profile crimes, including the attack on the Owerri Correctional Center on April 5, 2021, the killing of five policemen in Umunna, Okigwe, on December 12, 2022, and the burning of Arondizuogu Police Station on February 8, 2022.
He added that the group was also involved in multiple kidnappings, including those of WAEC staff on June 5, 2023, four reverend sisters on August 21, 2022, and four Chinese nationals on December 6, 2023.
Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, while commending the operatives for their bravery and coordination, charged police operatives across commands and formations to sustain the tempo and implement the Force’s action plan aimed at reducing crimes drastically in the first quarter of 2025.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists
Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants.Â

Heading 3
NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules
According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

States
ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining
He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits.Â

States
Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site
Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site.Â

States
Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun
The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents.Â

Abuja
Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections
Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.Â






