Police hunt abductors of 12-year-old schoolgirl in Ibadan

The police command in Oyo State has said a 12-year-old secondary school student was abducted by unknown armed men, on Thursday morning, at Challenge area, Ibadan.
In a statement by the command’s spokesman, Ayanlade Olayinka, the police said preliminary investigation said that the suspected kidnapping incident occurred at about 7:20 a.m.
“The Oyo State Police Command confirms an incident of suspected kidnapping reported in the Challenge area of Ibadan in the early hours of today, Thursday, 12th February 2026,” the statement said.
The police spokesman said the victim, a female student, was allegedly abducted at a junction close to her school.
The spokesman added that the student was kidnapped immediately she alighted from a vehicle that conveyed her to the school.
“Preliminary information indicates that at about 7:20 a.m., a 12-year-old female student of a private secondary school in the area was allegedly abducted by unknown armed men at a junction leading to the school premises as she was alighting from a vehicle that conveyed her to school,” Mr Olayinka said.
Following the formal report of the case, the police spokesman noted that detectives deployed to the scene of the incident interrogated witnesses, who provided useful leads assisting ongoing investigations.
The spokesperson said, “The incident was promptly reported to the police, and detectives were immediately deployed to the scene for preliminary assessment and fact-finding. Eyewitnesses at the scene were identified and questioned, and their accounts are providing valuable leads to assist ongoing investigations.”
He added that the parents of the victim had been contacted, with efforts underway to safely rescue the student.
The state’s Police Commissioner, Femi Haruna, directed a comprehensive and intelligence-led investigation, assuring that possible options would be explored to address the incident.
Promising utmost confidentiality, the command urged members of the public to support its ongoing rescue efforts with any useful information.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos
Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates
The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.






