Police summon DPO for alleged extortion, wrongful murder accusation

The Nigeria Police Force Headquarters in Abuja has summoned the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), GRA Asaba, Delta State Police Command, for allegedly accusing a man of murder and emptying his bank account after he attempted to rescue a collapsed person who later died in the hospital.
The NPF Complaint Response Unit disclosed this on X on Saturday in response to a post on Friday by @ummuh_Zahra. The post alleged that despite reporting the rescue attempt to the police, the DPO still vowed to deal with him for “acting like Jesus,” saying that next time he sees anyone dying, he will walk past.
The NPF-CRU said, “The Divisional Police Officer, GRA Asaba, @DeltaPoliceNG has been summoned and will be in Police Force Headquarters Abuja for questioning concerning this complaint by next week, thank you for contacting NPF-CRU. #NoToImpunity.”
Narrating the encounter on X on Friday, @ummuh_Zahra wrote: “Sometime this year, I made the grievous mistake of rushing a dying young man who had collapsed on the road to the hospital at the instance of a doctor who I had earlier called for advice, even when everybody chose to walk pass.
“Unfortunately, upon reaching the hospital, the young man gave up the ghost. Out of protocol, I requested that the police be informed since I never knew the person involved, I was just trying to be a good citizen.
“I was taken to incident the case at GRA Police station in Asaba. To tell you how wicked some officers of the Nigerian Police Force could be, I was instead accused of murder with my statement taken under caution. CSP Joseph Udoh, the DPO, told me he must deal with me for acting like ‘Jesus’. Those were his exact words. He bluntly told me that when he is through with me, if I see anybody dying again, I would walk pass, even after the deceased victims family had confirmed that their late son had an underlying condition.”
He added that it took the intervention of a top government functionary for him to escape the murder charge.
He also alleged: “Even after the VVIP personally came to attest and ensure I was released, the Nigerian Police Force, through CSP Joseph Udoh of the Asaba GRA Division still emptied my account as bail money, I went home with only Two thousand naira.
“As the year comes to an end, I am using this opportunity to thank God for bringing me out of that situation. Many people are still in prison for cases lesser than mine. My people, join me to thank God.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Abuja
Wike orders crackdown on car dealers operating in Abuja green areas
Mr Wike said defaulting vehicles would be impounded and auctioned, and their locations permanently shut down.

States
Police rescue 13 abducted passengers in Benue
Orchia Peter Aondongu, the Benue police command’s spokesman, said the victims were kidnapped the previous Friday while travelling from Enugu to Abuja.

Economy
Recapitalisation: Shareholders seek deadline extension for insurers
Mr Okezie said withdrawing licences from companies making genuine efforts could hurt shareholders and investors whose funds remained tied up in affected firms.

States
Scores of terrorists killed in Borno air strikes: Army
The Nigerian Army said air platforms of its Operation Hadin Kai killed scores of terrorists in different locations across Borno State.

NationWide
Atiku pleads with FBI not to shield Tinubu, says president danger to Nigerians not Americans
“Our message is simple: Protect your investigators. Protect your sources. Protect your methods. But do not protect the truth from Nigerians,” Mr Atiku said.

NationWide
Nigerians react, allege Tinubu appointed Adedeji to divert taxes for 2027 campaign
Mr Adedeji was appointed deputy director of fundraising for Mr Tinubu’s 2027 presidential reelection campaign on Saturday.






