Polio: Kano govt, UNICEF flag off 2025 immunisation campaign

The Kano State government, in collaboration with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and other partners, flagged off the 2025 polio immunisation campaign on Saturday.
Flagging off the exercise in Warawa Local Government Area, Governor Abba Yusuf said the exercise aimed to curb the spread of the virus and protect children from the life-threatening disease.
Mr Yusuf, represented by his deputy and chairman of the task force on immunisation, Aminu Abdulsalam, said the resurgence of polio was a serious concern that must be urgently tackled.
He added that the government, in collaboration with its development partners, would intensify efforts to ensure that every eligible child was reached during the exercise.
The governor urged parents and caregivers to present their children for vaccination, stressing that the vaccine was safe, effective and free.
Mr Yusuf commended health workers and development partners, including the World Health Organisation (WHO), the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the Dangote Foundation and other BN partners for their continued support.
Michael Banda, the UNICEF senior education manager and officer-in-charge of the Kano Field Office, said Nigeria remained central to global efforts to stop the transmission of circulating variant polioviruses.
He described Kano as a high-priority state, adding that strong leadership at all levels was crucial to ensure every child received life-saving vaccines.
“As the world marks Immunisation Week, it is important to reflect on the impact of vaccines, which have saved over 150 million lives globally in the past 50 years,” he said.
Mr Banda noted that recent global funding cuts posed serious threats to immunisation progress, making unified local action more important than ever.
He said oral polio vaccine remained safe and effective, having reduced global polio cases by 99.9 per cent, but warned that just one case could trigger an outbreak.
“To eliminate it, every child under five must be reached in every round of immunisation,” he added.
The Commissioner for Health, Abubakar Labaran, said thousands of trained personnel had been deployed to conduct house-to-house vaccination to ensure no child was left behind.
Kano was declared polio-free in 2020 but has recently recorded new variant cases, prompting renewed efforts to contain the disease.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Minister recruits 200 volunteer teachers to provide extra classes for SSCE, JAMB students in Katsina
The initiative would initially cover Malumfashi, Funtua, Dutsinma, Kankia, Katsina, Mani, and Daura local government areas, with plans to expand it to all 34 LGAs in the state.

States
Work to resume soon on Bida-Lambata road, says FG
The federal government said work on the Bida-Lapai-Lambata road project in Niger would resume soon.

Africa
Central African Republic closes gold mine after collapse kills 49
Mines Minister Rufin Beltoungou said 35 Central Africans, 12 Cameroonians and two Chadians died in the gold mine collapse.

NationWide
Shettima seeks holistic approach to tackle humanitarian crises
Mr Shettima called for a holistic approach to tackle humanitarian crises and ensure durable solutions.

Politics
ISIS would have taken over Nigeria if not for Tinubu, presidency spokesman says
“Were it not for the various interventions of Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Nigeria would have become a sorry state security-wise,” the presidential aide said.

Health
Yobe: Authorities issue alert as conjunctivitis reaches epidemic level in Potiskum
Conjunctivitis has reached epidemic proportions in Potiskum and surrounding communities, prompting health authorities to alert residents.






