Ramadan begins on Tuesday, Sultan announces

The Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar announced in a live broadcast Monday evening that Ramadan begins on Tuesday, April 13.
This announcement came shortly after the Ramadan crescent was sighted in some locations in Nigeria.
The National Moon Sighting Committee (NMSC), had earlier reported about one hour before the announcement that no moon has been cited in some states.
Saudi Arabia, home to Islam’s holiest shrines, announced that the holy fasting month of Ramadan will start on Tuesday, as Muslims worldwide face coronavirus curbs.
“Tomorrow, Tuesday… is the beginning of the blessed month of Ramadan this year,” the kingdom’s supreme court said in a royal court statement.
Other Muslim countries, including Sunni-majority Egypt and Lebanon, have also announced that Tuesday marks the start of Ramadan, while Shiite-majority countries like Iran are expected to start a day later.
The daytime fasting month of Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
EU leaders back ICC after U.S. slams sanctions on two senior officials
They added that ICC judges and officials must be allowed to perform their duties independently and without external pressure.

Sport
WAFCON: Stakeholders seek overhaul of Nigerian footbal administration as NFF sacks Madugu
Mr Adejumo said, “If the NFF sacks the technical crew, who will sack the NFF itself.”

Heading 5
2027: Okorocha sues INEC, APC for recognising Gov. Uzodimma as Imo West senatorial district candidateÂ
The originating summons, filed on August 13, is marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1854/2026.

States
NYSC DG tasks corps members on responsible social media use
The DG noted that technology had made it increasingly difficult to distinguish between genuine and fabricated materials.

Africa
Media professionals decry threats to press freedom in West AfricaÂ
The media experts noted that press freedom and national security should be complementary objectives and not competitors.







