Red-list Countries: CAF asks UK to grant African players exemption
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has requested the UK government to grant an exemption to African players for the international window.
“CAF has noted the current circumstances in place in Britain regarding the lack of sporting exemptions for players returning from several African countries after the international window next week,” said a CAF statement on Wednesday. “CAF, acting on behalf of all African Member-Associations, African players and fans, has urged the British Government to urgently provide the required exemptions.”
The continental football body said this would enable African players to compete for their countries in the upcoming FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 qualifiers.
CAF noted that “similar exemptions were granted by the British government to enable the attendance of delegations and officials, amongst others,” at the finals of the Euro 2020 held less than two months ago.
It is further noted that the circumstances in the African countries on the red-list in many cases “are in fact less severe than other countries not currently on this list or for which exemptions were previously provided.”
In addition, CAF reiterated that the upcoming matches would be organised under the strict protocols developed by FIFA and applied across the world.
“These protocols have now proven beyond a doubt that they mitigate the risks involved, reflecting the success of commensurate protocols applied domestically in England and other parts of the world,” it noted.
CAF further said it had appealed, as a matter of urgency, to the Football Association (FA) and the UK government that “the same treatment previously applied to Europe now be extended to Africa.”
“This will be under the principles of solidarity and equal treatment,” CAF added.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
The illegal structures erected in swampy areas were inhabited by over 1,000 petty traders, comprising young men, women, middle aged and the old.
A letter of warning was also issued to two officers while four were exonerated.
The governor told the commissioners that they were appointed not to make money but to serve the people.
The ex-AC Milan winger was sentenced to nine years in prison in Italy for allegedly raping a woman in a discotheque with five other men in 2013.
The group was made up of Ndigbo from the 20 local government areas and the 37 local council development areas of the state.