Release only my certificate to Atiku; block CSU from revealing gender, transcript, other admission records, Tinubu begs judge

President Bola Tinubu has reluctantly allowed a federal judge in the United States to give his university certificate to his political opponent Atiku Abubakar.
But the Nigerian leader pleaded with Judge Nancy Maldonado to block all other details, especially the gender and admission records, among others, of the person who owns the certificate from being disclosed.
Mr Tinubu’s prayers on Monday morning came as part of the ongoing legal battle unfolding at the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois in Chicago.
The case was brought by Mr Abubakar, who has been on a judicial quest to establish that Mr Tinubu was not eligible to be Nigerian president despite his election in February 2023.
He won the election by 36 per cent of the vote after Mr Abubakar and Peter Obi, who was his running mate in the 2019 election, fell out, subsequently dividing their potential votes into at least two parts, paving the way for Mr Tinubu’s victory with the slimmest margin in Nigerian presidential election history.
Mr Tinubu’s acceptance that his certificate could be released came after he narrowly escaped full disclosure on September 21 by pleading severe harm to his life in order to obtain a stay of a magistrate judge’s order on September 19.
“There is harm in allowing discovery on issues and documents outside the diploma,” Mr Tinubu’s lawyers said in their full briefing to the court seeking a review of Judge Jeffrey Gilbert’s order by Ms Maldonado, a district judge.
The identity of who was admitted into Chicago State University in the 1970s has been a hot issue after college transcripts emerged that indicated the school admitted a female Bola Tinubu from Southwest College Chicago in 1977.
Whereas Mr Tinubu’s lawyers, led by Victor Henderson and Christopher Carmichael, insisted that the documents Mr Abubakar sought wouldn’t be admissible at the Supreme Court, they nonetheless appeared to anticipate the potential for an unfavourable ruling and consequently gave the judge an alternative direction of giving only an order for the school to certify strictly the certificate the president tendered to run for election.
Mr Gilbert’s ruling last week required CSU administrators to confirm under oath whether or not the certificate Mr Tinubu tendered in Nigeria was genuine. Additionally, the officials were mandated to show a certificate issued to a CSU graduate in 1979, with the person’s identification redacted, and to also turn over communications relating to a letter the school issued to Mr Tinubu in 2022.
Mr Tinubu feared that allowing the deposition of CSU officials to go forward could inflict severe, irreparable damage to his life, saying Mr Abubakar was only on a fishing expedition to fuel online conspiracy theories.
“The Magistrate Judge clearly erred in granting the application for discovery and concluding that Chicago State University must respond to the document and deposition subpoenas,” the lawyers said.
“Even if a narrow subset of information can be considered “for use” in the foreign proceeding, that is limited to the diploma submitted to INEC,” they added. “Fishing expeditions into other documents and more document productions must be precluded.”
In today’s filing, a man, who identified himself as Olajide Adeniji, submitted an affidavit saying he attended school with Mr Tinubu from 1977 to 1979.
But Mr Abubakar’s lawyers have long maintained that the certificate has corresponding records that must be released in order to ascertain its owner.
In his order, Mr Gilbert asked CSU to provide an example of a CSU diploma issued in 1979, but with the owner’s particulars redacted, the certificate issued to Mr Tinubu in 1979, a certificate issued in 1979 that carries “the same font, seal, signatures and wording” as Mr Tinubu’s, a deposition of officials to certify released records, among others.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

Heading 4
Turkey issues request to law enforcement agencies worldwide to arrest Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
The minister of justice said the Israeli leaders were being tried in absentia.

NationWide
EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay
One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.

World
Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods
Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.

States
Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers
The police said security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.






