Residents commend waste evacuation in Lagos

The ongoing evacuation of accumulated waste by the Lagos government has drawn commendation from residents, who described the exercise as a relief after weeks of overflowing refuse heaps.
The residents, who spoke in separate interviews on Friday in Lagos, said the clean-up had improved sanitation in many communities, although some areas were still awaiting evacuation.
Mariam Adebayo, a trader at Oshodi Oke, said refuse that had accumulated near the market for weeks had been cleared, making the environment more conducive for business.
“The difference is obvious. Customers no longer complain about the offensive smell, and the area looks much cleaner. We hope the government will make this a continuous exercise,” she said.
In Mushin, Solanke Oladipo, who lives near Daleko Bridge, said the exercise had brought relief but urged quicker evacuation in flood-prone areas.
“Whenever it rains, the drains overflow. If refuse is left too long, it blocks the drainage and worsens flooding. Clearing the waste regularly will help reduce the problem,” she said.
Joseph Ogbodo, a commercial driver on the Lekki-Epe corridor, commended the cleaner roadsides but urged residents to stop indiscriminate waste disposal.
“We appreciate what the government is doing, but residents also have a role to play. Some people still dump refuse on road medians at night. If that continues, the heaps will return,” he said.
Also, Nkechi Eke, a resident of Egbeda, called for more frequent household waste collection to discourage illegal dumping.
“People sometimes resort to dumping waste in open spaces because collection is delayed. More regular collection will help keep communities clean,” she said.
Similarly, Stella Babatunde, a resident of Yaba, advocated stricter enforcement against environmental offenders.
“The public should be enlightened about these things and punished for failing to comply. That’s the only way they will learn and adopt proper waste disposal habits,” she said.
The residents agreed that while the ongoing evacuation had restored hope for a cleaner Lagos, the government should sustain the exercise to prevent a recurrence of waste accumulation.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Africa
EU allocates €2.3 million to curb cholera outbreaks in Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, CAR
The European Commission has allocated €2.3 million in emergency humanitarian funding to Nigeria, Cameroon, the Central African Republic and Chad to help contain cholera.

World
Doctors remove 3.1kg bladder stone from man in Sri Lanka
The surgery was performed on Friday, after which the bladder stone, also weighing as much as a newborn baby, was removed.

Anti-Corruption
Court jails two for illegal naira cash trading at Lagos event centre
The court sentenced two persons to six months’ imprisonment each after they pleaded guilty to unlawfully trading naira notes.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.






