Residents flee Kwara communities after terrorists threaten fresh attacks in viral letter

Scores of residents have started fleeing Ira, Inaja and Aho communities in Oyun Local Government of Kwara State after suspected Boko Haram terrorists allegedly threatened rounds of fresh attacks in a viral letter.
The letter, which was allegedly issued by a group of terrorists calling themselves Nigeria Terrorist Association (NTA), had been making rounds on the social media after being discovered at Ira Market in Oyun LGA on Thursday.
While the letter has not been officially authenticated, the suspected terrorists threatened to launch fresh attacks on the communities, a development that has thrown residents into panic.
Residents, who anonymously spoke to Peoples Gazette on Saturday, said many of them have started leaving the communities in search of safety elsewhere.
“While we’re not sure of who and when the attacks would take, it is only sensible and safe to run for safety,” a resident told The Gazette on the phone. “I have concluded the plans to leave my community (Ira) now. So are my family members. The community had not been the same since Thursday.”
Another resident, who stated that they had not been at ease since the letter became public, noted that the development had forced many of them to leave far away from where they could be attacked or targeted.
“The letter has created fear among the community members and no one would watch or allow themselves to be kidnapped or killed,” the resident said. “As I speak to you, I am far away from my community. The news everywhere is disturbing.”
The latest development came days after Boko Haram terrorists invaded Woro and Nuku communities in Kaiama LGA of the state, killing hundreds of innocent residents while kidnapping several others.
Meanwhile, security agencies, including the police, State Security Service, the Nigerian Army, and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, have intensified patrols across the threatened communities.
Police spokesperson in Kwara, SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, who confirmed the receipt of the letter, said the command investigation is ongoing to ascertain the veracity as well as the source of the letter.
“Our intelligence unit is investigating to ascertain its veracity and possible source,” Ms Ejire-Adeyemi said. “Additional personnel have been deployed in collaboration with vigilantes to ensure safety of residents.”
Oyun LGA chairman, Akanbi Olarewaju, also urged residents to be calm and vigilant, adding they should report any suspicious activity or movement to the security agencies.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Troops kill one IPOB member in Anambra, recover explosive devices
Troops raided IPOB and ESN stronghold in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State and killed one of their members.

Sport
Beach Volleyball: Nigeria beat Morocco, qualify for Los Angeles 2028 Olympics
The Nigerian women’s beach volleyball team qualified for the Olympic Games event for the first time in history after defeating Morocco 2-0 in the 2026 CAVB final on Saturday.

Agriculture
Ekiti LG distributes improved cocoa seedlings to farmers
The chairman of Ikole Local Government Area, Bayo Omojola, said the seedlings would boost earnings and improve farmers’ livelihoods.

Economy
PENGASSAN elects Bosun Olabiyi-Agoro as national president
Mr Olabiyi-Agoro succeeds Festus Osifo, who served as the association’s national president for six years.

States
Fire guts Calabar mall
The inferno reportedly started around 7:00 a.m. in a section of the mall before spreading rapidly and growing into a huge fire.

Politics
2027: Shun thuggery, promote peace, Plateau CP tells youths
Mr Faniyan said youths remain central to democracy and national development.






