Samuel Umtiti announces retirement at 31
Former Barcelona and France defender, Samuel Umtiti, has announced his retirement from football at the age of 31.
Umtiti, in a heartfelt Instagram video post on Monday, announced his retirement.
“After an intense career with ups and downs, the time has come to say goodbye,” he said in the video.
He added, “I gave my all with passion and regret nothing. I want to thank all the clubs, presidents, coaches and players I was able to stand with.”
The Cameroon-born French footballer has been without a club since his departure from Lille at the end of last season, managing just six appearances for the side.
He had struggled to get decent playing time at both club and country levels due to a prolonged knee injury and will now be watching the game from the stands.
Umtiti, an academy graduate of French club Olympique Lyonnais before securing a move to Barcelona in 2016, was part of the 2018 World Cup-winning squad in Russia.
He enjoyed his most successful club career period at Barcelona, winning seven trophies, including two La Liga titles in six years, and making over a hundred appearances for the Blaugrana.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices
Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
World
World’s oldest person Ethel Caterham celebrates 117th birthday
Ms Caterham is the last known surviving person born during the reign of King Edward VII, who died in 1910.
States
24 ISWAP family members surrender to troops in Borno
The report stated, “Troops arrested one suspect in possession of a magazine loaded with 35 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.”
Lagos
Five die in Badagry road crash
Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”
Heading 1
Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1 billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members
The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.
World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.
Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.






