Friday, April 12, 2024

Sanwo-Olu threatens to prosecute social media influencers over thug violence

The governor blames social media influencers for purportedly inciting violence in Lagos.

• October 24, 2020
Babajide Sanwo-Olu2
Lagos State governor, Babajide-Sanwo-Olu (Photo Credit: Twitter)

The Lagos State Government has warned social media influencers to desist from instigating violence in the state through inciteful engagement with their followers.

In a series of tweets Saturday afternoon on its verified Twitter handle @followlasg, a statement signed by the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy Gbenga Omotoso, noted that legal consequences await violators of the order.

“The attention of the Lagos State Government has been drawn to videos in social media and the online space, creating tension and encouraging ethnic conflicts”, the statement said.

“The government will continue to protect lives and property. Fake news and inciting message merchants are hereby warned to stop their evil enterprise or face the legal consequences of their destructive actions.”

The fallout of the deployment of armed thugs to disrupt the #EndSARS protests in the state has resulted in loss of life and vandalisation of public and private assets.

The raging crisis, which intensified after military forces gunned down some unarmed protesters at Lekki toll gate late Tuesday, was however, given ethnic coloration Friday, when a violent clash ensued between Yoruba and Hausa communities in Fagba.

Although scores were reportedly killed in the fracas, Peoples Gazette has yet to obtain an official death toll.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, during an on-the-spot assessment of about 27 locations across Lagos where private and public infrastructure were destroyed, vowed to put an end to the crisis.

Mr. Sanwo-Olu said that the level of destruction indicated that the violence was more than just a peaceful protest and agitations for police reforms.
“We need to stop some of our citizens still using the social media to instigate or incite the people”, the governor added, according to a statement by his spokesman Gboyega Akosile.

“It will not be under my watch that we will lose the city that has the largest economy in the entire black nation. Enough is enough.”

Several police stations, BRT buses, government offices, shops and houses, amongst others have been razed when violence surged in the state in reaction to the military massacre in Lekki earlier this week.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Usaini Gumel

Hot news Home top

Kano police arrest 16 additional suspects with dangerous weapons during Hauwan Daushe celebration

”We are making arrangements to prosecute all those arrested before a competent court of law.”

Polio immunisation vaccine

Health

In world first, Nigeria introduces new five-in-one vaccine against meningitis

Health workers roll out an immunisation campaign aiming to reach one million people.

NCDC

Health

U.S. government donates laboratory equipment to Nigeria to tackle disease outbreaks

The U.S. official also noted that Nigeria was facing several disease outbreaks.