Monday, August 17, 2026

Senegal opposition leader banned from 2024 presidential election, jailed two years

Ousmane Sonko, 48, is accused of raping a 20-year-old massage parlour worker in 2021 and of making death threats against her.

• June 1, 2023
Ousmane Sonko
Ousmane Sonko

A court in Senegal has reportedly discharged and acquitted Ousmane Sonko, an opposition leader, on charges of rape in a case that lasted three years.

Mr Sonko, 48, had been accused of raping a 20-year-old massage parlour worker in 2021 and of making death threats against her.

Mr Sonko, the leader of the PASTEF-Patriots party, has maintained the charges were politically motivated since they were first made in 2021 and did attend the court hearing Thursday, according to a report by Voice of America (VOA).

Despite being cleared of the rape charge, Mr Sonko was sentenced to two years in prison for corrupting youth, which is defined under Senegalese law as immoral behaviour or inciting such behaviour of a person under the age of 21 – his accuser was 20 at the time he was charged.

As a result, the court disqualifies him, for now, from participating in next year’s presidential elections.

Mr Sonko’s attorneys told reporters outside the court Thursday that the conviction was designed to prevent him from running against incumbent President Macky Sall in 2024. It is unclear if Mr Sonko can appeal the verdict.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Accord Party

States

Gov Adeleke’s re-election triumph of courage over fear, says Accord Party chairman

Mr Mgbudem said the election was a powerful testament to the people’s resolve to choose their governor freely and peacefully and protect their votes despite all odds.

Tinubu speaking to IBB

Politics

Tinubu celebrates ex-military dictator IBB at 85

“But for his foresight, wisdom, and sense of equity and fairness, many states in the federation might not exist today,” Mr Tinubu reasoned.

Apapa port (Credit: Stears)

Anti-Corruption

SEREC accountability in port charges, operational delays

SEREC has called for transparent port charges, accountable operators and a regulatory system where responsibility for delays follows the party that caused them.

distributed food palliatives to 500 widows

Lagos

Badagry LG chairman distributes food palliatives to 500 widows

Mr Hunpe said the widows were selected randomly across the 10 wards of the local government.

Customs

NationWide

Customs hands over 399 seized rifles to arms control agency

Mr Adeniyi said officials seized the firearms during the inspection and documentation of a consignment at Tincan Island Port, Lagos.

Yekini Idiaye

States

New Edo assembly speaker suspends Agbebaku, majority leader over alleged corruption

Mr Idiaye, who represents Akoko Edo Constituency I, was elected the new speaker following Blessing Agbebaku’s resignation on Monday.