Senegalese bang pots, pans in protest against President Sall
Senegalese honked car horns and banged on pots and pans in the capital Dakar on Wednesday evening in the latest protest organised by the political opposition ahead of legislative elections next month.
Senegal’s main opposition coalition, Yewwi Askan Wi, asked its supporters to come to their windows, balconies, and doorways and clang lids together at 8:00 p.m. to signal their anger over the disqualification of their candidate list in the upcoming poll.
The demonstration followed last week’s street protests that were banned by authorities and turned violent as police fired tear gas and water cannons during clashes with protesters.
Opposition leader Ousmane Sonko said three people were killed in the June 17 protests, one in Dakar and two in the southern region of Casamance.
Several opposition politicians were also arrested, adding fuel to Wednesday’s demonstration.
“I’m here to protest for justice,” said Ibrahima Soumare, a 47-year-old tour guide wearing the colours of Senegal’s flag and holding two large pot lids on which he had written ‘No to dictatorship’ and ‘Protesting is a constitutional right’.
The coalition’s candidate list was disqualified from the July 31 poll for technical reasons, according to a court ruling.
Tensions have run high in Senegal since major protests broke out last year after Sonko was arrested on rape charges, which he denied.
Many accuse President Macky Sall of trying to eliminate his competition after two main rivals were jailed on corruption charges in 2015 and 2018.
Mr Sall was swept to power in 2012 on a wave of popular support which has long since soured. His two terms will be up in 2024 and some opponents fear he will try to run for a third, an option Mr Sall has neither confirmed nor denied.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
“We are also the largest producer of cassava in the world,” he said. “Yes, currently, we import over 95 per cent of the starch we use.”
Delivering judgment, Justice Hannatu Balogun sentenced Mr Emmanuel to one-year imprisonment with an option of N300,000 fine.
The Debt Management Office (DMO) has listed N250 billion Sovereign Sukuk on the Nigerian Exchange (NSE) Group and the FMDQ Securities Exchange.
“This is not a project for one year or two,’’ Ms Schulze told dpa in the Swiss city of Lugano, where the talks were conducted.